Air pump 911 SC

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Air pump 911 SC

Postby Dave Diamond on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 pm

The air pump pulley (not the main fan belt, the little pump on the left side) flew off my 79 SC recently while driving. Makes a horrible noise flying around in the engine compartment, but no damage done. The nut from the shaft is nowhere to be found in engine compartment, so it probably fell out and got lost. Any harm in driving with the air pump temporarily disabled while I look for a new nut? I think I see a lot of cars where people take this off or remove the belt anyway, though I imagine a car wouldn't pass smog that way.
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Re: Air pump 911 SC

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Dave Diamond wrote:The air pump pulley (not the main fan belt, the little pump on the left side) flew off my 79 SC recently while driving. Makes a horrible noise flying around in the engine compartment, but no damage done. The nut from the shaft is nowhere to be found in engine compartment, so it probably fell out and got lost. Any harm in driving with the air pump temporarily disabled while I look for a new nut? I think I see a lot of cars where people take this off or remove the belt anyway, though I imagine a car wouldn't pass smog that way.

My understanding is the air pump pushes fresh air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions (dillution being the solution to pollution). I don't know if your exhaust will run hotter without that fresh air infusion. On the other hand, I might be all wrong about the function of that air pump. Paul Y., Steve G.; your thoughts?
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Return to Technical