Car point/sway bar question.

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Re: Car point/sway bar question.

Postby David Polk on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:11 pm

So,
I guess this means, my 88 944, with 25.5 factory bar in front, and 18 in the back is zero points???
Yippie!!!!!
David Polk

Postby CrashBrown on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Gentlemen,

This was part of a forum post that leads me to believe I won't be taking points for running the same set-up as Dave Polk. Let me know what you think!

It used to be that "stock" meant "stock". Even for a particular model and year, just upgrading to one component of a factory M030 package meant taking points, for say sway bars or springs. Now it seems less obvious.

The car classification web page now says:

"Factory vs. Aftermarket Upgrades -
The half points option only applies to factory options that were available for the model series of the car."

But goes on to say:

"Sway Bar Upgrades -
Sway bar upgrades for non-adjustable sway bars within a model series are free of points. Non-adjustable sway bars from outside of your model series, or after market, are half points. Non-stock adjustable sway bars are 30 points, regardless of source."

So to be clear, I guess this means that "stock" now means any factory sway bar from any car in the model series, and we've now ELIMINATED penalty points for those (non-adjustable) sway bar upgrades, and since the 924S is now in the 944 model series, it can use ANY (non-adjustable) 944 sway bar and takes no points. This is clearly different from any earlier understanding we've had.

Has this been clarified one way or the other yet? :banghead:
Shiny 205's go FASTER!

Unless they're flat-spotted :-(
CrashBrown
Autocrosser

Postby Mmagus on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

CrashBrown wrote:Gentlemen,

This was part of a forum post that leads me to believe I won't be taking points for running the same set-up as Dave Polk. Let me know what you think!

So to be clear, I guess this means that "stock" now means any factory sway bar from any car in the model series, and we've now ELIMINATED penalty points for those (non-adjustable) sway bar upgrades, and since the 924S is now in the 944 model series, it can use ANY (non-adjustable) 944 sway bar and takes no points. This is clearly different from any earlier understanding we've had.

:banghead:

Mark,

We should have talked before.

This had always been my understanding. If it was a stock item for the series then its zero points, I never took points for them, but did for my springs and torsion bars

With that said I did have a moment of panic when it seemed earlier in the thread that Steve G. seemed to be saying if it didn't come on JUST the 924S then it wasn't stock. (talk about a limiting factor!) I made some calls and got clarification and indeed my previous understanding is correct.

Mark
85.1 944 Sparky
'87 924S "Tuffy" #123, CC03
'81 928 "Leviathan" Gone to the great beyond.
Mmagus
Club Racer

Postby CrashBrown on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Ahhhhhhhh, I feel much better.
Thank you Mr. Bray,
Now I can continue on my day without a care. :beerchug:
Shiny 205's go FASTER!

Unless they're flat-spotted :-(
CrashBrown
Autocrosser

Postby JERRY B on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm

SOO, If a 924S is the same as a 944 then My 1989 944 is the same as a 1989 944S2 :rockon:
Which means I can use my 26.8 Bar No points, COOL :beerchug:
This will never end, Sorry Tom :banghead:
JERRY BUMPUS
Semi Retired Autocross Chair
2004 Cayenne Turbo The Great White Beast
2006 Cayman S The Other White Car
91 944s2 aka The White Car
89 944 TAZ The Not White Car
87 944s Ka BOOOM Car sold
86 944 aka The Black Car sold
JERRY B
Time Trialer