mounting hot lap in boxster

Porsche Technical related discussions.

mounting hot lap in boxster

Postby Dave Diamond on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I bought Mark Rondeau's old hot lap, and want to try it on my boxster. It's easy to attach to the roll bar with the top down, which is ok for autocross but not for DEs or TTs. Anybody else have a preferred top-up method?
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Re: mounting hot lap in boxster

Postby rshon on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:20 am

Dave -
I made a metal bracket and bolted it to the interior trim just inside the back edge of the passenger door (it's best to put some sheet metal "nuts" on the other side of this panel, as it is made of plastic). It props the Hot Lap receiver at the rear corner of the passenger side window, just above the door level. Here's a picture (sorry it's kind of blurry):

If you have a BK roll bar extension, you could also extend a bracket forward from the two bolts which hold the roll bar extension to the bracket. (I have a couple I made and don't use anymore.)
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Postby Kim Crosser on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 am

I have also seen them tie-wrapped to the passenger windshield sun visor, which I haven't tried myself, but was told it worked. The IR beam from the hot lap transmitter is pretty wide, so as long as the sensor has some field of view out the window it should work.
2012 Panamera 4
2013 Cayenne
2008-2009 Treasurer
Kim Crosser
Club Racer

Postby Dave Diamond on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks Russel and Kim. Is the transmitter always on the passenger side, even at DEs?
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Postby rshon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 am

At San Diego AXs, I think it's always been on the right side. DEs are not supposed to be timed, but sometimes someone "forgets" and puts a timing beacon up. At most TTs, there's a transmitter beacon on both sides (when the Equipment Chair puts them up). There have been a few rare cases where we didn't have access to the passenger side of the track at Start/Finish (like at Fontana, where S/F is on the banked front straight of the NASCAR oval), so it either gets put somewhere else on the track (creating a different timing line than the transponder system), or it gets put on the driver side and those without GPS loggers scramble for duct tape. One of my BK rollbar extension brackets is actually for the driver side in case the receiver needs to be moved to the other side of the car...
Russell
PCA Zone 8 Rules Tech Advisor
Z8 TT/DE Chair ('20-'22)
Z8 Rules Chair ('12-'18)

Porsche Boxster S
Scion FR-S
Lotus Exige S
Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
rshon
Time Trialer

Return to Technical