Trailer tie down advice needed

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Trailer tie down advice needed

Postby J_DeLira on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:09 am

Hello,

How do you guys strap your cars down on your trailers? I just bought a trailer for my Cayman and after searching forums I've found differing opinions. Some say strapping down over or through the wheels messes up the alignment while others say using tie down points fastened to the chassis (like Rennline sells) causes a lot of wear on the suspension. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For info, I just bought a 18ft steel flatbed trailer with e-trac instAlled. Thanks. -Jerry
Jerry Delira
J_DeLira

Re: Trailer tie down advice needed

Postby dcarusillo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Hey Jerry,
I've done it both ways ( ok that could be mis-construed). Actually there is a third tie down option that I have also used and many think is the best. That is an over the wheel web that attaches to a jump ring immediately on one tread side and then cinches down on the other side with a clamp. Do that on all four wheels and you are golden. Hauling like the big boys. That unfortunately is not a real option for most trailers, but may be for you.
Cinching down thru the wheels is ok as long as the forces are linear on the wheel. A lot of people do this without any problems.
I think the most common method are tie down eyelets installed low on the suspension, not the chassis. Usually on the control arm/trailing arm where the strut/coil over attaches. This way is easy, doesn't scuff up the wheel, if you have nice rims, and still allows the suspension to travel. That's basically what I do.
Hope that helps.
Dan
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby Batman on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Jerry,
I have a 24' enclosed that has e-Track and I think it works great.
On my system I use the stock 964 front tie downs and the rennline tiedowns at the rear coil over mount.
I like the e-Track because I can put a load on the suspension down towards the trailer bed then go straight back or forward to the trailer tie down.
e-Track makes a swivel guide that I use. I like the set up for lots of reasons. I can leave my straps in place at the front, loosen, unclip and go. When I pull back on the clip for the strap is right where it needs to be for easy attachment. In the rear almost the same. Difference is I disconnect the trailer tie-down at the back and move it to the side. My e-Track is mounted inboard directly under the shock mount.
To use the tire netting it is best to locate the e-Track in the path of the tires.
Hope this helps
Bruce Wing
2015-2016 PCA-SDR Treasurer
2015 Macan S
1973 911T "Purple"
1997 993 C2 "Red"
1980 911SC "The Discount Tire Car"
1990 911 C2 "Carrmen"
Batman
Autocrosser

Postby J_DeLira on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the Rennline tie downs and see how it goes. See you at Fontana!
Jerry Delira
J_DeLira

Return to Technical