Center Locks

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Center Locks

Postby Old Guy on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Center Lock Colleagues,

After spending literally hours reading Rennlist (see below) and other postings, I decided: what the hay? They really and truly can't be that big of a deal. My Precision Instruments torque wrench arrived last week; my JackPoint stands came today. Still waiting for some bits (Castrol "grease" and such) - shipped and on the way. Rennlist example:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/61 ... tools.html

Happy to hear from anyone with Center Locks that would be interested in getting together to compare notes and "give it a try." We can experiment on our GTS.

dunlapjj@gmail.com or cell 760 583 1115 are contact options. We live in North Oceanside.

Best,

Jim
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Re: Center Locks//brakes

Postby Old Guy on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Mystery ended. The Mystic Priest says we have to go to the dealer or wherever to work on center lock wheels/brakes. Nonsense. Using parts arranged though some negotiation I just had our GTS' brakes totally replaced - and very professionally if I might opine - by our local speed shop: MRD. It was obvious that they knew exactly what they were doing. My contribution? My Precision Instruments 200-600 ft lb torque wrench. Pushing 35000 miles the front rotors were over wear limit and the rears were close. We changed them all, plus pads of course, wear sensors (some of which were showing abrasion, even if not triggering the warning light)...the usual.

The new parts look as good as they function. I'm happy.

We used close to half a tube of the special Castrol spline lube. You can't skimp on this. MRD was meticulous about removing "extra" brake fluid upon pushing back the caliper pistons by bleeding at the wheel, rather than pushing fluid up through the system to the fill tank (while perhaps spreading contaminants). Everything got cleaned to look like new. To repeat: I'm happy.

And yes: the car stops on command...helped, I would hope, by my rather aggressive brake pad bedding in session on Tuesday evening. So nice to live in the open-country North SD County.
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Return to Technical