Help: Want to install baby seat in 991 GT3

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Help: Want to install baby seat in 991 GT3

Postby 1showman on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi Fellow Members,

I just purchased a 2016 991 GT3 and I really like to take the wife and son in this car for drives together, as such I would like to install a baby seat in the area behind the driver and / or passenger seat. My car doesn't have a roll cage. My son is 3 years old.

I think this must be possible as regular 991s must have the anchors already installed for attaching the baby seat. The anchors might even be in the GT3 hidden behind the carpeting? If this is not the case, can someone give me some advice as to who I can take the car to to have the anchors installed.

I know GT3s are not really meant for babies, but my son really enjoys riding in fast and loud cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Jason Zhang
2007 997 Turbo
2016 991 GT3
1showman

Re: Help: Want to install baby seat in 991 GT3

Postby ttweed on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:01 am

Anything is possible with enough $$$ and tolerance for risk. It's been done in a limited way in a 997 GT3:
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/376327-rear-seats-installed-pics-2.html
I am assuming you do not have the fixed carbon buckets in your car, as they do not allow sufficient access to the rear compartment to allow this anyway, without removing a seat. The main question about whether the seatbelt anchors in the rear are present in the 991 GT3 in the same way as other models has yet to be answered. I would assume they are, but don't know anyone who has taken up the carpet and looked yet. You might talk to some of the guys/shops doing cage installs who have removed the interior in the rear. The GMG site mentions their roll bar mounting "to the seat belt anchors at the B pillar" so I assume the GT3 "body in white" has the same welded anchor points as the other 991 cars, but just plugged or blanked off, though I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere, yet: http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-and-rs/754582-back-seat-in-991-gt3.html. There is a chance that the factory deleted the rear seat backing plates and anchors for weight savings.

The ultimate question would be whether you are comfortable with the risk of putting a child somewhere in a car that wasn't designed for them to be seated? It is actually illegal under a strict interpretation of the CA Vehicle Code, so I doubt many shops would be willing to assume the liability for performing such modifications. If you are comfortable with a "self-engineered" solution, then it is probably possible.
YMMV,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Re: Help: Want to install baby seat in 991 GT3

Postby 1showman on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks Tom. Very helpful info. Hopefully someone else figure this out before I do.
Jason Zhang
2007 997 Turbo
2016 991 GT3
1showman

Return to Technical