Cayman GT4/Carrera GTS wheel set advice: per Excellence

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Cayman GT4/Carrera GTS wheel set advice: per Excellence

Postby Old Guy on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:32 pm

FYI to those interested: email exchange with Excellence over track wheel sizes on newer Porsche cars. If you subscribe to the magazine, then you'll recall that a happy Cayman GT4 owner asked about track wheel set size, and the answer was: go with 18s. Also FYI, the magazine staff are very responsive; answered me almost immediately. For you SDR chapter lawyers (MANY, I'm sure) they also authorized me to quote their response :shock:

Well howdy back Jim,
Thanks for writing in your 18” wheel/tire question. In reply, yes: I would apply the same response to their application on your 2011 Carrera GTS. The same reasons are still in play, namely outstanding availability from a number of manufacturers, with all the tread patterns down to full slicks, and a great price point to accommodate virtually any pocketbook. And a wide variety of aspect ratios exist to provide the desired rolling diameter. Combine all this with a greater degree of compliance to create a much more pleasurable experience without giving up any response to driver inputs, and you have a sure winner.
Sincerely yours,
Mark Robles Technical Editor
Excellence Magazine

Howdy,

We have a 2011 Carrera GTS Coupe, PDK w/performance suspension (incl mechanical LSD) with Centerlock wheels and “standard” 19” wheels.
Short question: would the advice you gave the Cayman GT4 owner, i.e., to go with 18” wheels for his track set, also apply to our Carrera GTS? It is used for autocross and the occasional track day.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Jim Dunlap
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Return to Technical