Difference in parts between years

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Difference in parts between years

Postby JayG on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

It looks like I am in need of a new rear cat for my 04 986 S

It is part number 996.113.024.07
I found one that is 996.113.024.05

In looking at the parts catalog, the part number changed for 03 up and the .05 part is for up to 02

Does anyone know if there is actually a difference in the fitment or was it simply a number change

Thanks
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Re: Difference in parts between years

Postby jbrennen on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 pm

I don't know, but I can tell you that if a smog check technician figures out that you have an '02 or earlier cat on an '04 vehicle, your chances of passing that smog check are not good.

From https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html ...

"Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust-controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard."

"Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed."

Basically, whether there's any factual basis to it or not, the Smog Check rules say that an '04 configuration is cleaner than an '02 configuration, and they generally won't let you move to a less clean emissions configuration. You can always go to a Smog Check referee and hope for the best, but they'd be well within their rights to tell you to go get an '04 (or newer) cat.
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Re: Difference in parts between years

Postby JayG on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks Jack, I am aware of those issues.

The last smog check I had done, they didn't look at anything. In any case, I doubt a smog tech would know the different part numbers, even if they tried to look at the part numbers which I doubt they would.

The question is still will it fit?
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Return to Technical