Will these tires pass tech?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Will these tires pass tech?

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 am

Hello, I'm getting near the end of my current set of tires and want to know if I need to scramble and get them replaced before Feb 18th, or if they'll get me through one more AX.
It's the wear right at the very outside edge of the tread I am wondering about. Pictured is the right rear, the fronts have a little more tread. https://goo.gl/photos/hTiTremjZFpHLwk27
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Re: Will these tires pass tech?

Postby Ryan McClune on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Eric,

The tread depth looks fine on those tires for one more event from the photo you provided.

Without seeing the tire fully, make sure that there are no "chunking" issues on the outside shoulder of the tire, which could also net you a tech failure.

Examples of chunking:
Ryan McClune
2021 Chief Driving Instructor - Autocross
2021 PDS - Coming Soon
--
The Island of Misfit Toys:
2006 Atlas Grey Cayman S - #581
1973 Signal Orange 914 2.0
1974 Grey International Scout - DONKEE
2008 Oxford White-ish Ford E-350 4x4
Ryan McClune
Autocrosser

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Thank you Ryan. No chunking with these tires, they've been good to me.
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm

A follow up:
Feb 18th we had at least 3 autocrosses worth of driving, totaling ~12 autocrosses, and the tires looked like this:
https://goo.gl/photos/9596ydGD3ry1cdiB6
The tire with the melted rubber boogers is the front; the other two pictures in the album, including the one above, are from the rear tires.
The tires are worn to the wear bars in the rear.

Feb 19th I went to Orange County for another autocross, expecting to fail tech because I was at the wear bars. There I was told that as long as cords weren't showing I was good to go.
After I got home ~13 autocrosses +8K street miles the tires looked like this:
https://goo.gl/photos/ZJmNUCfH9zA4tZkv8
There seems to be little areas of very shallow micro chunking that exposes areas of rubber that have color like the sidewalls. (Visible in the picture above)

Would these tires pass tech?

I have ordered a set of Yokohama AD08 Rs that should arrive and be installed before March 4th AX. I would have gotten RE-11s again, but they seem to be discontinued. I also was interested in Hankook RS4s, but I wasn't able to get a firm commitment that they would be delivered and installed before March 4th. RE-71Rs aren't available in my exact size and I'm a little worried about changing rolling radius messing with ABS/PSM.

Has anyone tried the RE-71Rs on a 987 Cayman/Boxster with 18in wheels? (Stock tire size is 265/40R18, RE-71Rs are 265/35R18 or 265/45R18)
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Return to Technical