Miracle glue removal question

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Miracle glue removal question

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 pm

I did it again. The interior is out for the second time, the first time was to put a RS lightweight carpeting in the car. This time I decided to go for the Cup Car look :lol: . I have been working very hard on scraping, scratiching and trying to desolve the glue with aceton. A real pain :cry: and there is no way back now.

Note: I don't want to remove the paint, just the glue. Next I am going to try the heat gun.

"What is the miracle solution for glue removal other than elbow grease ?"

"I think half the weight and price of the car is due to the amount of glue porsche uses to glue in the carpet" :shock:
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:56 pm

I concur completely. The 3M adhesive remover is supposedly the best. I can only find it at office supply stores, but when I go to get it, they can't find it on the shelf??? I have tried a couple of others that sorta work, but the problem is getting to the adhesive through all the insulation that tears apart before the glue does.

If you find a good method, let me know as I haven't had time to finish the job and it is certainly a pain no matter what.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:31 pm

This is a dirty, nasty job no matter what method you use. I don't think there is an easy way.

First buy a good respirator, a couple of pair of heavy duty gloves, misc brushes, scapers and some stainless steel wool. Work in a well ventilated area.

I used Goof Off as the adhesive remover - It is sold at Home depot in a big yellow can - buy a gallon

After you brush on the remover put a vapor barrier down like plastic or even newspaper. The longer the solvent stays on the area before evaporating the fewer passes you need to make.

I have heard that a heat gun also works but I have no personal experience.

Lastly, I found Porshe used all types of glue in the interior - tarlike insulation on the floor, regular adhesive on the horizontal pieces and some really tough glue on the vertical panels.

Good Luck!
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby martinreinhardt on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:27 pm

Thanks I will try to find the 3M adhesive general purpose remover. If that doesn't help, I will go with the Goof off.

This is hard work for a few extra pounds !!!

I will keep you informed
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Martin:

Why do you think they call it "miracle" glue? It 's a miracle if you can get it off? :oops: :lol:

Sorry , couldn't resist.

Removing the glue without removing the paint will be tricky. Goo Off, 3M Adhesive remover, even Bug and Tar-Off may work without damaging the paint, but as Pete says, be careful with this highly volatile stuff. Don't use a heat-gun after trying the chemicals, or you'll remove more than just the glue :shock: ! (If you have no eye-brows and my hair-style at the next A-X, I'll know you didn't read this post. :roll: )

John Rickard told me he worked on his 944-Spec for about 8.5 hours to get about 5-Lbs of glue and carpet weight out, so elbow-grease will definitely be needed.

Good luck!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:14 pm

3M citrus based adhesive remover works on contact cement and other marine glues. Plus it smells alot better. The Marine Exchange on Shelter Island has it, Maybe even HD has it. It comes in a Black spray can.
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:59 am

Thank you for the tips and tricks.

Tonight I tried a couple glue removers, but it is still a very long process . So I tried a Wire Brush attached to the drill and it seems to do the trick, especially when I used it at a angle of the disk surface.

The rear seats took about 3-4 hours. As Pete mentioned there are at least 3 different types of glues. For the tar on I will use the heat gun.

:lol: That's funny Dan, I will be careful :lol:
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby kary on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:27 am

Martin, I can shed some light on this as I just got done removing the interior and glue from my car this past December. I found that you can remove the glue and maintain the paint without having to scratch anything if you are willing to do two things. One, you must be patient and two, you need to use good off.

As was pointed out, the good off will disolve any insultipb quite easily. What I found was there was not any removers that just disolves the glue so you can wipe it up. This requires that you work in small areas by putting good off in and allowing it to sit for about 15 minutes. I did not find covering the good off to help at all. Once it has sat for a while you can try and peal the glue with your hands. It us fairly easy to peal since the remover has weakened the sticking power to the metal. This of course will not get all the glue because the glue us not out on in any consistent manner. To get the get the remaining glue off I used the glue balls I removed by hand. These glue balls become very sticky once the good off evaporates away. You can simply use the balls to remove the other glue by dabbing the much stickier glue ball on the less sticky glue on the metal that has been weakened by the good off. This is where the patience I mention comes in.

I had a good 80 hours of work to remove the entire inside glue fron the car. I still have the glue balls as a reminder but I doubt it totals 5 pounds. I just like the look of a bare metal cup car interior.

Hope this helps!

Kary

Sorry about the misspellings I am still getting use to this BlackBerry suretype keyboard!
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 pm

Cool, I am almost done. And I may have to replace "meine Lunge" (my lung) after this. :?

It turned out okay, but I will need to repaint some areas one of these days to make it look better. Does anyone know where/who can mix a "Grand Prix White" paint for me to brush on?
Martin Reinhardt

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:01 am

There is anautomotive paint and body repair supply on Miramar Rd, just east of Pioneer Porsche. It sits in the back of the parking lot, I think in the same area as the Wells Fargo bank. I bought some remover from a auto paint supply in Escondido that works good, but is not the most pleasant stuff to use.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Help plz

Postby street235 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:37 am

There is anautomotive paint and body repair supply on Miramar Rd, just east of Pioneer Porsche. It sits in the back of the parking lot, I think in the same area as the Wells Fargo bank. I bought some remover from a auto paint supply in Escondido that works good, but is not the most pleasant stuff to use.

Does any one know what is wrong here?
street235

Postby David J Marguglio on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:55 am

Does any one know what is wrong here?

???? :?
Personal driving coach to:
Maria Sharapova
1993 Martin-thrashing RS America
2004 Cayenne
David J Marguglio
Time Trialer

Return to Technical