Peformance Chip?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Peformance Chip?

Postby Bluestreak on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:13 pm

Wondering if anyone here has tried this or something similar. Performance chip that plugs into the car’s OBD2 port. Is this modern day snake oil?

https://www.thortonchiptuning.com/
Greg Nickols
Bluestreak

Re: Peformance Chip?

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:48 am

I haven't tried it.
It sounds super-snake oily.

I can't imagine that the manufacturers would allow reflashing through the OBD port. I can't access steering angle or measured acceleration in an unencrypted format through the OBD port, much less change ECU parameters. And how does it know to return to stock after it's removed?
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Re: Peformance Chip?

Postby Rory_Fallbrook on Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:56 pm

FYI, I have M-Engineering tuning on my McLaren 12C, and they also support turbo Porsches. It is a laptop PC program that connects to a OBDII dongle via USB. Only the ECU is accessible, requiring the ECU to be physically modified by mailing to them. YES, the ECU is flashed through the OBD, and there is real-time tune changes via the cruise control stalk with engine running for octane of gas or ?. Pretty sweet, and I assume available for Porsche, BUT BUT BUT!! you may not pass smog next time if you are street legal. Supposedly, CA DMV and/or CARB can detect the modification even if you re-load the OEM tune, which can be done easily. It may be scare tactics, don't know, I have also had performance shops tell me it is not a problem for smog with OEM tune, especially if you go to a non "SMART" smog shop (SMART is more sophisticated software). I have yet to positively determine what I will need to do to keep the 12C streetable (Short of move to AZ!?), despite that I only use the non-OEM tunes at the track. Sorry I don't have a complete answer yet, but will advise...

If see me at DE/TT with 12C, I can demo if you're interested.

Anybody out there has M-Engr tunes on a Porsche and knows more?
Rory R. Davis PCA #306
Gearhead and Adrenalin Junkie
Ph.D.,P.E. Licensed Mechanical Engineer in CA and NV, semi-retired
2013 Porsche C4S, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C
HPDE High Intermediate, minor autocross
Rory_Fallbrook

Return to Technical