CCW 2 piece bolted wheels

Porsche Technical related discussions.

CCW 2 piece bolted wheels

Postby MVZ944T on Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:43 pm

Just some info. I am sure I should have done this long ago, but this weekend I checked the tightness of the center to rim bolts on my 2 piece CCW wheels. On both sets, I found a number on fairly loose bolts and one broken one. If you have bolted wheels, if you don't check them regularly, I suggest that you do. It is a pain, but I will be checking them on a regular basis in the future.
MVZ944T
Time Trialer

Postby MikeD on Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:18 pm

Hey Mike,

Good info. I know Kinesis recommends wheels used for racing be sent back to them once a year for a "tune-up". Check out: http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/carerace.htm for more details on the care and feeding of race wheels. I'm sure the same tasks should be performed no matter which brand of wheel is being used.
Mike Dougherty
'02 986 S - Arctic Silver/Black - #757 -- gone but not forgotten
MikeD
Club Racer

Postby Pete Millikin on Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:46 pm

Just saw this thread and I have a related question. Are you (and others) happy with CCW wheels? I know they seem like the best deal out there for new track wheels (approx $1000 less than comparble Fiske, HRE, BBS and others) but do they compare favorably in weight and strength?

The only negative thing I have heard is that the sealing bead on the wheel is a little fragile and over time they develop leaks which are easily fixed.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Return to Technical