964 Normal Oil Temperature

Porsche Technical related discussions.

964 Normal Oil Temperature

Postby rhoadesco on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:53 pm

This is the first summer I have had my '90 C2 and I notice that it is running hotter than before -- either something is up or that's normal. I read where every 10 degrees of ambient temperature rise can account for 20 degrees of oil temperature increase in 911's due to the inefficiency of some oil coolers.

The oil temp gauge is divided into thirds and driving in the summer finds mine in the middle third a lot. In fact when it gets close to the top third the idle gets really rough. This has only happened a couple times so I don't know the cause-effect. Maybe it is idling rough for some other reason and therefore not pumping as much oil through the cooler as it should.

Anyway, what's the experience with the 964 oil cooler layout and how hot they run? Anybody have to add aftermarket oil cooling capacity?

Thanks for any info.
-DR
Doug Rhoades
964 C2 Cab
rhoadesco

Re: 964 Normal Oil Temperature

Postby kary on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:55 pm

rhoadesco wrote:This is the first summer I have had my '90 C2 and I notice that it is running hotter than before -- either something is up or that's normal. I read where every 10 degrees of ambient temperature rise can account for 20 degrees of oil temperature increase in 911's due to the inefficiency of some oil coolers.

The oil temp gauge is divided into thirds and driving in the summer finds mine in the middle third a lot. In fact when it gets close to the top third the idle gets really rough. This has only happened a couple times so I don't know the cause-effect. Maybe it is idling rough for some other reason and therefore not pumping as much oil through the cooler as it should.

Anyway, what's the experience with the 964 oil cooler layout and how hot they run? Anybody have to add aftermarket oil cooling capacity?

Thanks for any info.
-DR

Here is a link to some good information in general about oil fans and cooling:

http://p-car.com/diy/fan/
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Return to Technical