Dent Repair Shop / Shaving flat-spotted R tires

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Dent Repair Shop / Shaving flat-spotted R tires

Postby Otto on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:28 am

Somebody recommended a dent-repair shop in this forum. Could I get that name and number again? There is no paint damage and it looks like the dent in the fender in front of the left door of my 944 Turbo can be popped out. An encounter with a tall cone at 80 mph going backwards did it.

Also, I wonder if flat-spotted full thread R-tires (Yokohama 0032 R)can be saved by deep-shaving them? Does anybody know of a place in this area that shaves tires to have them inspect mine and do the job if worthwhile?
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby Pete Millikin on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Discount tire on Genesse does heat cycling and shaving and does a ton of PCA business. Talk to Jerry the Mgr.
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Re: Dent Repair Shop / Shaving flat-spotted R tires

Postby ttweed on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:48 pm

Otto wrote:Somebody recommended a dent-repair shop in this forum. Could I get that name and number again?

Otto-
The guy I have used for paintless dent removal with good results in the past was Ron Jordan, who runs a mobile service called Metal Magic. Phone # is (619) 339-4320, or at least it was when I last used him, which was several years ago now. I think someone mentioned he might have gotten called up from the Reserves to active duty or something the last time I mentioned him, so he may be in Iraq right now, for all I know. I'd try Steve at Detail Works, if you can't get hold of Ron-- (858) 689-8989.

Also, I wonder if flat-spotted full thread R-tires (Yokohama 0032 R)can be saved by deep-shaving them?
My understanding is that only brand new tires can be shaved- no shop will be willing to ruin their shaving blades on the embedded rocks or possible debris in a used tire. Maybe you can find a place that will do it, but that's what I have always heard.

Good luck,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Otto on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:49 pm

Thank you Pete. I actually bought the tires at Discount Tires at Genesse and called Gerry to talk about it but he is out until next week. Others at the store did not know about the shaving, only the heat-cycling which I already had them do to these tires when I bought them.

Tim at Mind Over Motorsports is going to check with Tire Rack to see who does the shaving for them and get back to me. Do you know of any other shop that does this service in this area?
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Postby Otto on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:57 pm

Tom:

Thank you for the info which is very helpful. Regarding the possibility of the blades getting ruined by embedded rocks, I heard the same from the shop that does the shaving for Yokohama Motorsports. If all the shops feel the same way, I may be out of luck.
Otto H. Obrist
1986 944 Turbo # 577
Otto
Time Trialer

Return to Technical