Tire recommendation

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Tire recommendation

Postby Jfaassen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:38 pm

Looking for suggestions for new rubber for an 87 911. I currently have Dunlop D 40s on it and have been happy with their performance and noise level, but it's time for replacements. No track running, just something with good performance and reasonable longevity, and not noisy on the highway. Under $200 price range - $150 even better!

Also, recommendation for retailer - Discount Tire with the PCA discount?

Lastly - recommendations for service - had been going to Don at Extreme Motorsports for many years and don't know what effect the ownership change there may have. Black Forest? others?

Thanks
Jfaassen

Postby Ted Myrus on Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:37 pm

:)
Please support our Witness advertisers. They support the club, lets support them.

Referrals on repair shops are good, however, you need to form your own opinion. Find out their indivual hourly labor rate, get a quote on a needed service, give them a try. Don't forget the dealers, there often competively priced. :wink:
Ted Myrus
Time Trialer

Re: Tire recommendation

Postby ttweed on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:33 am

Jfaassen wrote:Looking for suggestions for new rubber for an 87 911. I currently have Dunlop D 40s on it and have been happy with their performance and noise level, but it's time for replacements. No track running, just something with good performance and reasonable longevity, and not noisy on the highway. Under $200 price range - $150 even better!

Also, recommendation for retailer - Discount Tire with the PCA discount?
I agree with Ted as far as the repair shop part of your question, although the dealerships are not often the best place to go for the older model Porsches. For tires, I would suggest going to the Tire Rack website and do your comparison shopping for tires based on your requirements. They have specs and customer reviews with pricing that can be very helpful. I have found that Discount Tire will match the Tire Rack prices for any tire they can get readily, so you can still go there to buy them and for installation, although they aren't the cheapest for mounting and balancing by a long shot, and probably won't give you any additional discount for PCA membership if they're matching prices with the Tire Rack.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Jfaassen on Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:57 pm

Thanks very much for the input!
Jfaassen

Postby bobc on Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:47 pm

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sports on my 87 and have been very happy with them, although they are a bit pricey. I was actually going to try the Dunlop's next time just due to price, but the Michelin's have been very good. I've pretty much stayed with Discount Tire for my cars.

As far as service, I had been going to AJ USA, but they seem to have gone downhill in the last few years. I've switched over to Black Forest. Good service, it's done when they say it should be and they know Porsches.
bobc

Return to Technical