Class Definitions Question for RS replica?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Class Definitions Question for RS replica?

Postby Scott Longballa on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:18 pm

I've recently purchased a 81SC that was turned into a RS replica which I will use as a track car only. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to class the car. It has the fiberglass RS front and rear bumpers no sunroof and RS door panels. The power windows have been removed and most of the interior. It has a full cage welded in and SC suspension. I don't have a motor in it yet but I'd like to put in a 3.0, 3.2 with some extra horse power. Mabye around 250 to 300. Brakes are stock right now but that could change later. I'm kind of just looking for a starting point on where to class it. I'm thinking it will be in KM but not sure. Thanks for any help I can get.
RS Replica, 88 Carrera
Scott Longballa

Postby ttweed on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:35 am

Scott-

It would depend on what motor you end up using, how much the car weighs, and whether you keep the suspension and wheels/tires stock. The points for modifications all add up and progress you up in class. You would not end up in KM, though, as the SC progresses from I/SS to IS to IP to HI to AM and finally AR, according to the current rules, which may change for next year somewhat. Classifications are determined by what the car is when it starts, not what kind of replica you turn it into.

Check the rules at http://www.pcasdr.org/tech/rules.html carefully before you finish the build and end up someplace you don't want to be. You will find that using a stock engine transplant is far more advantageous under the current rules than using a modified one. Most of the RS replicas end up in AM if they are extensively modified. If you can fit it into IP or HI, you may be better off.

Good luck,
TT
Last edited by ttweed on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Scott Longballa on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:51 am

Thanks for the info!
RS Replica, 88 Carrera
Scott Longballa

Return to Technical