Too tall?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Too tall?

Postby Brett Souza on Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:13 pm

I'm 6'3" and have signed up for the Performance Driving School next month. I got my Handbook and I cannot adjust my seat appropriately. My legs are not a problem as I can reach/depress the clutch all the way to the floor with my right foot. It is my upper torso and head. I have the seat reclined far enough back that I can comfortably reach the stearing wheel, but my head barely clears the headliner. I don't know if I can put a helmet on without having to "crunch" down some.

Any suggestions?

I saw this discussion on replacing seats and making room for tall drivers.

http://web2.pcasdr.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=603

Short of that, am I just SOL???
'97 993 C2 Coupe
Brett Souza

Postby Pete Millikin on Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:56 pm

Brett - I think I started by just leaving the sunroof open and scrunching down. As you already saw in the thread, most of the taller people have replaced stock seats with race buckets and either mounted them to existing brackets or mounted them to the floor.

It probably is worth checking the seat install - Make sure there are no spacers between the floor mounting point and the seats(unlikely), maybe unbolt the slider from the seat and bolt the seat directly in position to the floor mount, pull the padding out of the seat bottom.

You might be able to find a loaner race bucket to bolt in.

Or..... create a Dan Gurney bubble in the roof like the original GT-40
86 Carrera 3.2L #178
Pete Millikin
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:46 pm

Also, no helmets on Saturday, so only Sunday is a concern at the school. Worst case, you could learn all the skills and just not do the autocross on Sunday, still well worth the time and expense.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Re: Too tall?

Postby kary on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:47 pm

Brett Souza wrote:I'm 6'3" and have signed up for the Performance Driving School next month. I got my Handbook and I cannot adjust my seat appropriately. My legs are not a problem as I can reach/depress the clutch all the way to the floor with my right foot. It is my upper torso and head. I have the seat reclined far enough back that I can comfortably reach the stearing wheel, but my head barely clears the headliner. I don't know if I can put a helmet on without having to "crunch" down some.

Any suggestions?

I saw this discussion on replacing seats and making room for tall drivers.

http://web2.pcasdr.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=603

Short of that, am I just SOL???

Brett I went through the same issue as I am 6' 3" with a very long torso. I went through various versions of this from putting racing seats in, to custom mouting brackets, to no sliders to gain room, to my current configuration....bolted to the floor with the welded in mounts removed in the rear seat portion to gain height.....and I removed the sun roof. A bit extreme but my car is really a track car.

If you do not want to change seats, I suggest that you open the sun roof, crunch down a bit, and lean your head to the right to get into the sunroof opening for your head.

You can get a cusom seat bracket add at each event change out the seat if theat gives you enough head room. Not hard to change seats really, just some time before and after each event. The expense will be in the custom seat bracket, another seat, and working it out so you can have enough head room.

Bottom line, short of doing some changes in your seat and mounting...with consessions...there is little that can be done for long torso drivers in the 993.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby Bill Behun on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:00 pm

I'm 6'-4" and for driving school, just slouch a little in your seat for Sunday - slouching is worth it so you don't miss out.

Then modify the seat if you have to for your future events.
'80 911SC (AX FUN)
'94 968 "Practical" Porsche
Bill Behun
Time Trialer

Return to Technical