Understanding What Makes Torque

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Understanding What Makes Torque

Postby bryanearll on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:51 am

I've been wondering what makes one engine have more torque than another. I understand that the computer chip programming on two identicle engines might make a difference, but more significantly what makes a 'truck' engine vs. a 'car' engine?

Or why does an old school 'in-line' straight 8 have more torque than a V8? (assuming it really does)

Is more torque developed on a shorter stroke with a larger diameter bore rather than a longer stroke with smaller bore but equal displacement? Which engine in this example would you want to run 'all day' on?

Is there a diminishing return on number of cylinders vs increasing bore diameter on a fewer number of cylinders to achieve the same displacement? What would be the benefit of each?

What advantage is the Boxer Engine's opposing cylinders vs. a V shape etc.?

How do Vario Cam's mechanically adjust timing when responding to the computer's input?

I'm sure all of this is really fundamental to understanding engine design, so maybe my real question is: can you point me to a good technical link on understanding engine design please?
Bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Re: Understanding What Makes Torque

Postby ttweed on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:37 am

bryanearll wrote:... can you point me to a good technical link on understanding engine design please?

Torque vs. HP, etc:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte.htm
http://science.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Variocam:
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cayenne/variocam.html
Boxer configuration was chosen for balance (opposing forces on crankshaft cancel each other out) and packaging issues (lower CG)
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Boxer+engine
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby bryanearll on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:45 am

Thanks very much Tom for the detailed links.
Bryan
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby bryanearll on Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:39 pm

So talking to a neighbor mechanic this afternoon (Ford man FTW); he builds and tunes track cars for the local boys....

Anyway, he says that horsepower is bunk, nice to have a bunch of it... but when push comes to shove it's Stroke length not HP that will determine how much 'power' you have when you hit the gas...

Any comments?
Bryan

(Question was 'to him'; what give a car 'off the line' torque.)
Big block Ford has a 4" stroke... (smile, he says) Indy Cars may have equiv. horsepower but it takes 'em laps to get there and no power out of the pits....
Bryan Earll
'01 996 C2 #339
bryanearll
Time Trialer

Postby ajackson on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:46 pm

Those links are very good, you should go through them. Horsepower is the final measurement of how much you can accelerate. Maybe the confusion is that even though a car has a max hp, it doesn't make that much all the time. You may have a 1000hp car, but it may only make 50hp at 2k rpm. If you stomp on the gas at 2k rpm, you aren't going to move very much. A torque curve will tell exactly what power an engine makes and where. Hp is just torque times the rpm times a constant.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby kary on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:16 am

ajackson wrote:Those links are very good, you should go through them. Horsepower is the final measurement of how much you can accelerate. Maybe the confusion is that even though a car has a max hp, it doesn't make that much all the time. You may have a 1000hp car, but it may only make 50hp at 2k rpm. If you stomp on the gas at 2k rpm, you aren't going to move very much. A torque curve will tell exactly what power an engine makes and where. Hp is just torque times the rpm times a constant.

That is why gearing is so important in a race car! It needs to keep the engine at its peak power.
Kary
1997 993 PCA#131 POC#131
Group 9 Motorsports
www.group9motorsports.com
kary
Pro Racer

Postby 76914 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:09 pm

ajackson wrote:Those links are very good, you should go through them. Horsepower is the final measurement of how much you can accelerate. Maybe the confusion is that even though a car has a max hp, it doesn't make that much all the time. You may have a 1000hp car, but it may only make 50hp at 2k rpm. If you stomp on the gas at 2k rpm, you aren't going to move very much. A torque curve will tell exactly what power an engine makes and where. Hp is just torque times the rpm times a constant.

actually to be a jerk about it hp is fake. there is not such thing. it was invented by a steam engine designeer to help sell his new engine, he invented a calculation that allowed him to claim it could produce all the power a horse could. hp is defined as 1hp= 33000-lb.ft/ 1 minute. Hp is than in every sense a form of torque, and can therefore be expressed in relationship to torque as hp=(torque X RPM)/ 5252. if you guys want i have some more formulas that u cna use to determine other fun thing such a Mean Effective Piston Speed, and a pretty accurate guide to what you will run in the 1/4 mile

Postby ajackson on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:33 pm

Hp being fake is a misnomer. Hp is very real, in physics, it the concept is called "work". It is force applied over a distance (or in this case rotations). My last sentence did mention the relationship between hp and torque. Making up a new unit and giving it a definition is done all the time to express things in ways that make sense to someone.

Hp is the final measure of what your engine is doing.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Postby 76914 on Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:29 pm

ajackson wrote:Hp being fake is a misnomer. Hp is very real, in physics, it the concept is called "work". It is force applied over a distance (or in this case rotations). My last sentence did mention the relationship between hp and torque. Making up a new unit and giving it a definition is done all the time to express things in ways that make sense to someone.

Hp is the final measure of what your engine is doing.

work is already defined as torque in your engine, horsepower is literally the mathematical translation of how much work that engine can do literally compared to a horse.

Postby ajackson on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:59 pm

Horsepower is a unit of work.
ft-lbs is a unit of torque (which is angular force).

They are two separate and distinct concepts. I'd recommend looking up a physics tutorial (or book) on the relationship between work and force.
Alan Jackson
77 911S 3.2L
ajackson
Time Trialer

Return to Technical