How much preparation does it take to organize an autocross?

A place to check for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

How much preparation does it take to organize an autocross?

Postby TheStig on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:40 pm

How much time and preparation does it take to organize an autocross of our size? By that I mean, do we have a contract with Qualcomm to use their parking lot or do we pay them like a rental fee? Also what other work is involved to make every autocross so far I've been with you guys better each time I come? :D
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Andy:

Depending on who the Chairs are, and who takes responsibility for the tasks, it takes anywhere from 8 to 18 man-hours to properly prepare for a single A-X.

this is a per- event estimate based on:

- 2 meetings a year with the Qualcomm special Events coordinator and other clubs
- Submit Budget request to the Board for event funding/approval
- 1 to 4 hours of initial track design drawings
- 2 to 4 hours final track design meeting with other A-X Chairs (usually over a beer and snack)
- Send track design to Webmasters to post to forum/website
- 1 to 2 hours pre-event track inspection with Safety Chairs roughly 1 week to 5 days prior to the event
- Insurance Certificate issued for the event by National
- Coordination with the Equipment Chairs to deliver the Truck and Equipment Trailer/ and return the Truck-Trailer AND make sure all equipment is in the Trailer and working properly
- Coordinate with Logistics Chairs for Port-o-pot/Drinks/Etc.(Beer)
- Contact Witness Editor for ads
- Coordinate with pre-reg/Registration to get all drivers signed up
- Contact Timing Team to be sure we have Timers
- Contact Cornerworking Chairs for event attendance
- Answer emails from drivers wanting to know if they can run their X-cars in the event
-Answer night-before-event-at-11:00 PM phone calls asking to drive under the pre-reg discount of $40.00

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:

These recollections are based on the 2003/2004 season when I was Co-Chair with Carl Scragg and Gary Burch. Gary's efforts to improve the system probably means it takes less time/effort than when I was working with him. 8) Also, Chuck and Curt have shown great progress in improving the system, as well. :wink:

Now, these are the pre-event tasks. In another installment, I'll detail "A day in the Life of an AX Chair at an AX." :shock:

Hope that helps! :wink:
Dan Chambers
"It's just an aggressive street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:16 pm

Dan Chambers wrote:And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:
Yeah, Dan, the Tech Team gets left out and ignored, probably because it runs so smoothly you don't even have to think about it... :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
2015 GT3
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Pro Racer

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:42 am

ttweed wrote:
Dan Chambers wrote:And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:
Yeah, Dan, the Tech Team gets left out and ignored, probably because it runs so smoothly you don't even have to think about it... :D

TT

Edited:

Andy:

Depending on who the Chairs are, and who takes responsibility for the tasks, it takes anywhere from 8 to 18 man-hours to properly prepare for a single A-X.

this is a per- event estimate based on:

- 2 meetings a year with the Qualcomm special Events coordinator and other clubs
- Submit Budget request to the Board for event funding/approval
- 1 to 4 hours of initial track design drawings
- 2 to 4 hours final track design meeting with other A-X Chairs (usually over a beer and snack)
- Send track design to Webmasters to post to forum/website
- 1 to 2 hours pre-event track inspection with Safety Chairs roughly 1 week to 5 days prior to the event
- Insurance Certificate issued for the event by National
- Coordination with the Equipment Chairs to deliver the Truck and Equipment Trailer/ and return the Truck-Trailer AND make sure all equipment is in the Trailer and working properly
- Contact the fantastic, glorious, incredibly efficient, beautifully run, remarkabley humble, terrifically polite, generously fair TECH TEAM to be sure cars are tech'ed.
- Coordinate with Logistics Chairs for Port-o-pot/Drinks/Etc.(Beer)
- Contact Witness Editor for ads
- Coordinate with pre-reg/Registration to get all drivers signed up
- Contact Timing Team to be sure we have Timers
- Contact Cornerworking Chairs for event attendance
- Answer emails from drivers wanting to know if they can run their X-cars in the event
-Answer night-before-event-at-11:00 PM phone calls asking to drive under the pre-reg discount of $40.00

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

These recollections are based on the 2003/2004 season when I was Co-Chair with Carl Scragg and Gary Burch. Gary's efforts to improve the system probably means it takes less time/effort than when I was working with him. Also, Chuck and Curt have shown great progress in improving the system, as well.

Now, these are the pre-event tasks. In another installment, I'll detail "A day in the Life of an AX Chair at an AX."

Hope that helps!
Dan Chambers
"It's just an aggressive street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby TheStig on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Wow I knew a lot was put into each autocross, but I underestimated all the work.. Very Impressive :D
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Return to F.A.Q.