How to change oil CLEANLY???

Porsche Technical related discussions.

How to change oil CLEANLY???

Postby jbrennen on Sat May 21, 2016 11:14 am

I just finished another oil change on my 981 Cayman this morning.

No matter what I do, I seem to spill about 4 ounces of used oil when I remove the filter. It seems there's about that much oil that's just sitting above the level of the filter canister and it has nowhere to go except down when you loosen the filter.

Is there a trick to this, or do I just have to do a better job of catching this oil? I suppose I could put a gallon size freezer bag over the entire canister when I loosen it, with the top of the bag extending as far up as possible...

What has anybody else figured out?
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Re: How to change oil CLEANLY???

Postby JayG on Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 pm

I have a small plastic container, about 14 x 14 x 3 that I use under the oil filter when I remove it.
I loosen the filter and then hold the container with one hand and remove the filter with the other and catch any oil that way
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby marcus981 on Tue May 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Jack,

I've done the freezer bag trick a couple of times with pretty good success. I read that advice from someone else online. I remember there being very little clearance near the filter, so I'm not sure a rigid plastic container would fit directly under the filter for a 981. Not sure if a 986/7 is different, or if Jay is holding the container below the nearby filter obstructions.
Marcus Kramer #591
2014 Cayman S (Agate Gray)
Equipment Team, Autocross Team, IT Support
marcus981
Autocrosser

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:11 am

Jack:

Many an early 911 person has suffered from a similar fate; the oil filter inside the engine bay is full of oil and pointing slightly downward on the filter post. As soon as you twist the filter 2 or 3 times... sploosh! A couple of ounces of old oil comes out the filter, into the engine bay and trickles down past the valve covers and onto the exhaust below. Makes a nice mess of the engine, and the cars smokes a bit as the oil residue burns off the right-side exhaust parts when you first start it up. This can also happen with 944's, and the old oil drains over the swayer bushing, ultimately ruining the bushing and making a mess of the power steering pump and engine pan underneath. Been there, done that.

Some tech's/mechanics use a small punch and ball-peen hammer to create a small hole in the top of the filter; letting air in to drain the oil out of the filter before spinning it off. The sequence is:

Drain the oil sump (early 911's - 5 gallon bucket recommended)
Drain the engine oil (all cars)
Place a rag around the punch and lightly tap a small hole in the filter
Remove the filter from the post - rags at the ready

You'll want to put a rage around the punch as sometimes there is still a tiny bit of positive pressure in the oil filter. The rag help prevent any possible squirting of oil out the punch hole.

I don't know if you have room in the engine bay of a Boxter/Cayman to get a punch and hammer near the top of the filter.

Some tech's swear by this technique while others will tell you DO NOT hammer on the filter as it could damage the filter post.

Talk to your trusted tech about the best way to deal with the filter.

Hope that helps.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby JayG on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:09 am

Dan Chambers wrote:Jack:

Many an early 911 person has suffered from a similar fate; the oil filter inside the engine bay is full of oil and pointing slightly downward on the filter post. As soon as you twist the filter 2 or 3 times... sploosh! A couple of ounces of old oil comes out the filter, into the engine bay and trickles down past the valve covers and onto the exhaust below. Makes a nice mess of the engine, and the cars smokes a bit as the oil residue burns off the right-side exhaust parts when you first start it up. This can also happen with 944's, and the old oil drains over the swayer bushing, ultimately ruining the bushing and making a mess of the power steering pump and engine pan underneath. Been there, done that.

Some tech's/mechanics use a small punch and ball-peen hammer to create a small hole in the top of the filter; letting air in to drain the oil out of the filter before spinning it off. The sequence is:

Drain the oil sump (early 911's - 5 gallon bucket recommended)
Drain the engine oil (all cars)
Place a rag around the punch and lightly tap a small hole in the filter
Remove the filter from the post - rags at the ready

You'll want to put a rage around the punch as sometimes there is still a tiny bit of positive pressure in the oil filter. The rag help prevent any possible squirting of oil out the punch hole.

I don't know if you have room in the engine bay of a Boxter/Cayman to get a punch and hammer near the top of the filter.

Some tech's swear by this technique while others will tell you DO NOT hammer on the filter as it could damage the filter post.

Talk to your trusted tech about the best way to deal with the filter.

Hope that helps.

The oil filter on water cooled (at least 996/986) hang down and you can remove them without dumping a lot of oil over the engine. All you need is a catch pan underneath and you should be fine. In fact you can remove the oil filter without draining the sump
Jay Gedanken
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:16 am

Dan's pokie trick is great for early 911's and 944's but for Boxster and later cars the oil filter housing is plastic and reusable so that wont work.
Plastic bag trick is best other than paying someone else to do your dirty work.
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:...other than paying someone else to do your dirty work.

Well, that's the best way to go. 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby jbrennen on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 am

JayG wrote:The oil filter on water cooled (at least 996/986) hang down and you can remove them without dumping a lot of oil over the engine. All you need is a catch pan underneath and you should be fine. In fact you can remove the oil filter without draining the sump

Judging from pictures, oil filter access on the 986 is a breeze compared to the 981.

On my 981, the filter is tucked up into a little alcove on the driver's side of the engine, with limited access from below. In addition, there is structural bracing underneath the filter -- if you intend not to make a mess, you have to catch the oil before it can hit the structural bracing. You might be able to get a small catch pan up on top of the bracing, but you'd probably lose the ability to get your hand in there to loosen the filter.

The plastic bag will be my strategy next time. Very low tech solution, but should be effective.
Jack Brennen
2015 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
https://www.facebook.com/jbrennen
jbrennen
Autocrosser

Postby JayG on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 am

Jack, to save you the hassle of getting to the oil filter, I'll trade you even my 986S for your 981. :beerchug:
That way you can have an easy filter change
Jay Gedanken
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby gulf911 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:49 pm

If your 981 is like a GT4 oil filter the canister that holds the filter is plastic and can be purchased very inexpensively.
Some will drill a small hole in the bottom of the canister to drain it and then remove.
Dan Andrews
#2 Carmine Red GT4 , 19" Forgelines , LWBS.
gulf911
Pro Racer

Postby BUCK BITTING on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:05 pm

There is only one true no mess - no hassle way to change the filter. Drop off at the dealer or local Indi. Otherwise plan for the unexpected. :D
BUCK BITTING

Return to Technical