First POC Big Willow Weekend

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

First POC Big Willow Weekend

Postby Batman on Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

I would like to use this venue to share my first race experience as a rookie with Porsche Owners Club (POC). Willow Springs in the heat on May 20 and 21st.

First off my car is a GT4 so I had to run in the Red run group. The Red run group is combined with the fastest cars driven by the better drivers. Well better drivers may be a bit judgemental of me but my car and skills are still under construction.

It was Saturday in sprint race 1 that realized just how amazing and powerful this Porsche Owners Club is at creating the best out of the up coming drivers. Most of us know that confidence is priority one out there on the track. Confident that the tires will hold grip, confident that you are going to hit all your marks, confident that the car will take what ever you throw at it, and confident that you are out on a skinny piece of asphalt driving with 40+ other drivers wanting to just have fun and drive these cars the way they were built to drive.

During qualifying for Sprint 1 I was very nervous about my first race weekend. The real crazy is the first two or three laps. Basically we are a team of drivers trying to jam 160 foot wide line of cars into a 40 foot wide hole. If it wasn’t for the conidence in our cars and the conidence of Sportsman like conduct all around, the pack would never make it one lap around the track. On the second lap going in to turn 3, I received what looked like a driver was telegraphing a pass. I had confidence in my car and confidence in the driver I was passing. What I missed was the Cup Car on the outside of the driver I was passing coming up fast and out of my mirrors view. We all three went through 3 side by side and by the time I made to the top of the omega I was back in same position I started.

At the end of qualifying the driver I was passing was sooooo nice. He explained to me that what I did never works out. He said it could have ended badly for all three of us. I apologized for my race line and made sure all involved were ok eventhough there was no contact. I think the really cool thing was this Sportsman like conduct. I’m sure the guy I passed could have reammed me a new one but he did not instead in a calm voice he helped me understand how my move was wrong and then he explained even a better turn in than I had been using.

I feel that our clubs need more of this type of Sportsmanship. I left the POC Tribute weekend with a very clear understanding of how important it is to us to have great mentors. Mentors that have this type of professional sportsman like conduct.
Bruce Wing
2015-2016 PCA-SDR Treasurer
2015 Macan S
1973 911T "Purple"
1997 993 C2 "Red"
1980 911SC "The Discount Tire Car"
1990 911 C2 "Carrmen"
Batman
Autocrosser

Re: First POC Big Willow Weekend

Postby Batman on Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

I almost forgot to add one of the best parts of the weekend.

Dan and Dave came all the way over from streets to play guitar and sing around the campfire.

Thanks Dave and Dan

Its a "Wing Thing"
Bruce Wing
2015-2016 PCA-SDR Treasurer
2015 Macan S
1973 911T "Purple"
1997 993 C2 "Red"
1980 911SC "The Discount Tire Car"
1990 911 C2 "Carrmen"
Batman
Autocrosser

Re: First POC Big Willow Weekend

Postby Mike on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:52 am

Batman wrote:
I feel that our clubs need more of this type of Sportsmanship. I left the POC Tribute weekend with a very clear understanding of how important it is to us to have great mentors. Mentors that have this type of professional sportsman like conduct.

Bruce congrats on your first race. 8) 8)
I'll never forget mine or the mistake I got away with that day too.
Share some of your go pro video next race. :burnout:
Big Willow and Laguna Seca are my two favorite California tracks to race on. :beerchug:
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Return to General Discussions