Thanks for another great AX

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Thanks for another great AX

Postby terryb on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

A huge thanks to Mark Curran and the rest of the amazing AX team for pulling off another fun AX @ Q. I wasn't a fan of the track but it kinda grew on me over the course of the day. My student improved considerably and shaved off nearly 10 seconds by timed runs. Congrats to Adam "who's your new daddy?" Gill for yet another TTOD and edging out Mark for another BRI win! Amazing driving from you CC06 guys--I don't think I could've done that well in my CC06 911. I'm pretty stoked that I tied Tom Tweed for 2nd TTOD.
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Re: Thanks for another great AX

Postby ttweed on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm

You killed it yesterday, Terry. Nice job! Mark did really well also--anyone who could break 1:40 on that track had to be peddling pretty hard. Three CC06 cars in the top ten shows that class is the most competitive around right now, and those drivers are performing beyond the speed potential of their cars, for sure. The Miatas had a really good day too, with Robert faster than anybody on raw time, and WT beating both Terry's and my time. Though the track was based on the one from July of last year, it was significantly altered to the extent that it was a full 10 seconds slower in this incarnation, and the Miatas were 2 seconds off the pace last year. Obviously, I didn't like this version as much. :-)

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby mtcurran on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you Terry B.and Tom T. for the kind words. And thank you again to my AX Team for all of the time and effort put in to make the event run so well. As a relative newcomer to this sport, I have really enjoyed competing with Adam Gill and Rob Walker in CC06 this year. Their driving skill level is what I aspire to achieve. Both of them are helpful and willing to lend advice and coaching whenever I ask. As a result I am improving due to their unselfish largesse and my competitive nature. Tom T. you are correct, this was the same track that we ran last year in July with changes made by me (without Andrew Simmons' permission), to add sections that required specific braking zone discipline. Blame me if you didn't care for the track, not Andrew or Marcus. If anyone has an in-car video to post so Andrew Simmons can see what we drove this Sunday, he would appreciate seeing it while he is still 3000 miles away. I'm hoping he'll be done with his work project and back in San Diego for our next AX on September 10th.
Kind regards,
Mark
Mark T. Curran
Curran Pool Services
2014 AX Corner Working Chair
2015 2016 2017 AX Chair
2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 DE CDI
2023 TT CDI
2021 2022 2023 DE/TT Chair
1978 911SC Track Car
2009 Cayenne Turbo S
2011 Carrera 4S
2012 Cayman R
mtcurran

Postby EricMarc-Aurele on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 am

I'm attaching a picture of my best run's (1:46.20, practice) ground track overlaid on the map file Andrew sent out for the team to set up. When I get to my desktop I'll add the kmz file.

https://goo.gl/photos/ysahBRGf1WUN2yax5
EricMarc-Aurele
Autocrosser

Postby AGill on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks to Mark and the AX Team for putting on yet another great event. Mark, don't apologize about the track, while there were mixed reviews, if we didn't have tracks like this they would all be too similar and get repetitive. This one kept us all really thinking about the best way to drive it. There were some challenging section for sure. Loved the long course, too.

Great drive by Terry. I saw his wife and mom throw their hands in the air when he turned the fastest time. I felt a little bad when I edged him out on the next lap. It was a mid-engine car track for sure so Mike and Tom had an uphill battle. After my first lap I got to start where Mike was and laughed at him and said, "good luck!"

Another highlight of the day was debuting Steve Eisler's new Boxster S track car for its first shake down. It's been a couple month long build and it performed flawlessly :rockon:

I would be remiss if I didn't thank my wife, Lana, for letting me go race with a 5-day old baby...while she had the two boys as well for the whole day!
Adam Gill #115
Past Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Instructor
'98 Boxster - "CUPCAKE" - CC3 before spinning rod, CC? coming soon
'97 993 Arena Red C"2"S - "Ruby"
'65 912 Gulf Blue - "Blue Bird" (sold)
AGill
Time Trialer

Postby ttweed on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

AGill wrote:I would be remiss if I didn't thank my wife, Lana, for letting me go race with a 5-day old baby...while she had the two boys as well for the whole day!

Wow, I didn't hear about that, Adam. Congrats to you and Lana on the new baby!

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Solidus on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks Mark and the AutoX team! Although I was scratching my head on this course, by the 3 run I was having a lot of fun with the track. Definitely different and challenging. I'm all for tracks where it takes a minute to get it.

Thanks to Adam for the new alignment on the yellowbird as well as the coaching. It drove completely different and provided me a whole new level of enjoyment as I scrambled to upgrade my driving ability! Below is a link to in car footage of my best time 143.73. Not a bad time I believe but definitely room for improvement as I watched myself. I'll get more roll in her next time Adam!

https://youtu.be/facpZMsd4T0
Mike Thibodeaux :beerchug:
2006 Speed Yellow TechArt Cayman S
Solidus

Postby terryb on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Don't feel bad Adam, you certainly earned TTOD (again)!

Mark, here's video from my timed runs. <https://youtu.be/uhywX1Hka9E> I'd welcome any feedback on where to find that extra second.

I tried something a little different and did a split screen on my two fastest laps to compare. I was surprised to see how each was just a little faster or slower throughout the lap. I'd always assumed the faster lap was more or less faster throughout. The split screen also shows that one lap needed quite a bit more steering input though I would've thought the tires were at temp by then.
Terry Barnum
'15 GT3
'14 Cayenne Diesel
'88 911
'10 Cayman S -- SOLD
terryb
Autocrosser

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Here is my last timed run when tires were getting a little too hot and the car was getting a bit loose.
Not my fastest but lap but probably the most entertaining and the only one without me cussing out the car and/or the track.
Definitely not my favorite track but Mr. Curran is already well aware of that.
Really great driving by all the 944 Spec guys. Seems like everyone was really putting the pressure on each other.
(And the sticker tires - Right Shawn?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQQ7-nFI3KI
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby sf.in.sd on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Nice. Yes, tires help. I corded a pair during my last practice runs and the fresh rubber helped me shave 3 or 4 seconds to overcome Ty's phenomenal run that you had managed to best when you took off the RA1s. The track was fine. Hard to get in a rhythm at the end as it seemed like every other turn was off camber and decreasing radius, but it slowed everyone down. Made us 944s look halfway respectable. Awesome driving by many - most notably Adam, Terry, Tom, the rest of the top 10 which included the entire CC06 podium, and Robert on top of the X heap of great drivers.
Shawn Flanagan
1987 924S - Spec 944 (co-owner SFRS Racing)
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
2012 Cayman R (by loan from spouse for occasional spirited driving)
sf.in.sd
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions