Head And Neck Restraint for HPDE / Time Trials in 2019+?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Head And Neck Restraint for HPDE / Time Trials in 2019+?

Postby kleggo on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Is there any further insight regarding if PCA / PCASDR will require an FAI certified HANS type device for HPDE / Time Trial events if the driver chooses to utilize 5 / 6 point harnesses?

Thanks

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Re: Head And Neck Restraint for HPDE / Time Trials in 2019+?

Postby Cajundaddy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Confirmed to be included in PCA HPDE Minimum Standards for 2019. The PCA National DE advisory team hopes that you will choose to add a HANS device ASAP if you are running racing harnesses and not wait until it becomes mandatory for DE/TT next year. Mounting evidence suggests that the neck of a driver or passenger is at serious risk when strapped into a racing harness without a neck restraint device. This will necessitate 2 separate tracs for student/instructor pairings (which we mostly do already).

1. Those with stock seats/belts
2. Those with modified interiors including racing seats, harnesses, and neck restraints.

http://www.brrperformance.com/blog/?p=3844
https://www.pca.org/driver-education-minimum-standards
Dave Hockett
09 Cayman 2.9L PDK #129 (with a few tweaks)
CC08
PCA GPX CDI- Past
PCA National DE Instructor
Cajundaddy
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:25 am

Safety first.

Although the cost of safety equipment may seem somewhat high (seats, harnesses, helmets, HANS, rollbars, driving suits)... in the big picture it's about being able to walk away from a worst-case scenerio with minimum injury.

-"Top quality helmets are expensive".... what's the value of your gray-matter? Brains aren't like trains; you can't go out and buy a new set.
-"HANS devices are cumbersome and a hassle to put on and off"... what's the value of being able to walk, talk, chew your food, or even be alive? Spinal damage is no party.
-"Seats, roll bars, and harnesses are expensive and alter the nice aspects of my car's interior"... ever kiss a stearing wheel at 80-MPH, get tucked under a dashboard, play "pingpond ball-in-a-hurricane" inside your car, or compete in a pole-vaulting competition ... without the pole? (3-point seatbelts really don't do much for you in a roll-over.) You should be one-with-your-car-chassis in worse-case scenarios.
-"Well, I'm a safe driver and won't ever get into a bad situation"... yeah? What about the guy/girl in the car passing you in the braking zone? How safe are they?

I've always advocated for as much safety gear requirements in a car as possible. I've never been a fan of having any car on a track with other cars around (or even driving solo) where speeds are high (triple-digits) and the car has nothing more than stock seat belts and a strong knowledge of prayers. I've always advocated that ALL track cars should be equipped with 5-point harness systems as a minimum safety requirement, but I've sadly been over-ruled for the sake higher participation interests by both Zone and National governing boards.

In my opinion safety gear is, in the long-run, a lot cheaper than hospital costs and extended rehab. :wink:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby kleggo on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Cajundaddy wrote:Confirmed to be included in PCA HPDE Minimum Standards for 2019. The PCA National DE advisory team hopes that you will choose to add a HANS device ASAP if you are running racing harnesses and not wait until it becomes mandatory for DE/TT next year. Mounting evidence suggests that the neck of a driver or passenger is at serious risk when strapped into a racing harness without a neck restraint device. This will necessitate 2 separate tracs for student/instructor pairings (which we mostly do already).

2. Those with modified interiors including racing seats, harnesses, and neck restraints.

Thanks Dave.
Do I read this correctly that drivers / cars with 3 point belts will also require "HANS"??????????????
I didn't think that "HANS" was compatible with 3 points.

Cheers

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby mrondeau on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 am

kleggo wrote:
Cajundaddy wrote:Confirmed to be included in PCA HPDE Minimum Standards for 2019. The PCA National DE advisory team hopes that you will choose to add a HANS device ASAP if you are running racing harnesses and not wait until it becomes mandatory for DE/TT next year. Mounting evidence suggests that the neck of a driver or passenger is at serious risk when strapped into a racing harness without a neck restraint device. This will necessitate 2 separate tracs for student/instructor pairings (which we mostly do already).

Thanks Dave.
Do I read this correctly that drivers / cars with 3 point belts will also require "HANS"??????????????
I didn't think that "HANS" was compatible with 3 points.

Cheers

Craig

"HANS" Type systems will be required for those with harnesses as part of a complete restraint system. They will not be required for 3 point belts.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby dcarusillo on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 pm

What about pace cars?
https://youtu.be/oFFesWoUMfo
Dan Carusillo
PCA-SDR Past President, Former VP & Treasurer
1976 3.0 Carrera (Slightly Modified for track use)
1981 SC
2016 GT4
dcarusillo
Time Trialer

Postby kleggo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am

mrondeau wrote:
"HANS" Type systems will be required for those with harnesses as part of a complete restraint system. They will not be required for 3 point belts.

Thanks Mark,
I'm going to take a chance and try to start a discussion in the "lightly visited" technical forum to see if there is any traffic on specific vendor models pro / cons.

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions