"HANS" type devices, which do you like? Why?

Porsche Technical related discussions.

"HANS" type devices, which do you like? Why?

Postby kleggo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 am

As seen in the General forum, HANS type devices will be required for HPDE / TT in 2019 for those using 5 / 6 point harnesses.
Seems like a good plan.
http://forum.pcasdr.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7046&p=46609#p46609

Now, the question is, which vendor / model did you buy and why?
HANS
Simpson
Schroth
and
NecksGen
All seem pretty similar with the exception of the Necksgen which has a different design.

I'm sure the HANS / Schroth / Simpson work well and are "comfortable" if you buy the right size. It's just a matter of choosing the manufacturer that you want to support.

The Necksgen looks interesting, possibly more comfortable, but I see a lot of them for sale after people buy / use them.
Not sure why this is true.
Do you know why?

And check out this thread on RL, discussing when you don your "HANS" & helmet.
What is your routine?

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/883217-what-s-your-hans-routine.html

Is it true that the only real drawback of the device is that you can't turn head / helmet more than X degrees and that makes reversing and pit driving interesting?

Ciao
Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Re: "HANS" type devices, which do you like? Why?

Postby Dave Diamond on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 am

I have also seen:
Z-tech (2 models, one looks highly adjustable, which is very appealing to me).
Pyrotech/Leatt (I know someone who uses it and likes it. It looks like it may allow better head-turning motion; only comes in one size.)

Will the regulations specify a limited range of brands, or just 38.1 certification?

I ordered a Hans Sport III, which I ended up returning because I couldn't get it seated properly on my neck/chest. The angle wasn't right and it was pushing my head too far forward. I'm considering the adjustable z-tech, the adjustable version of the HANS, or the Necksgen.

Info appreciated from users of any of these (or others).
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Postby rwalker on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:31 am

I have a ztech, but wouldn't buy it again. The straps don't slide in the collar, which severely restricts how far you can turn your head.

Also note that the ztech anchors are non-standard, so borrowing and lending doesn't work among friends who have Hans vs ztech.
Rob Walker - #171
2004 Boxster S (Midnight Blue Metallic)
rwalker@rwalker.com
rwalker
Autocrosser

Postby ChuckS on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I have a HANS Pro with sliding tethers. Advantages include: 1 Very Light (Carbon Fiber), 2 Everybody has one, so parts or swapping is available if needed. Disadvantages: 1 Even with sliding tethers, there is very limited head turning allowed. This has proven troubling in pits and in race line up (sometimes can't turn enough to see starter time signals). 2 Difficult to attach tethers to helmet while in car (but I have gotten familiar with these and it is less of a problem now), 3 Shoulder straps often move around and fall off while getting strapped in. Not enough width on shoulder "landings". Doesn't seem to be a big problem once fully tightened.

Debby has the Leatt. It is fully certified. They are not well known in our circles, but are leaders in Motorcycle and off road (Baja 1000 type stuff). The advantages are: 1 FAR more movement of the head allowed in side to side without too much forward movement allowed. 2 Very comfortable, 3 Shoulder "landing" has an upward turned tip to keep belts from sliding off the device. Disadvantages: 1 Only one size fits all, 2 Helmet fasteners are NOT compatible with HANS, 3 Helmet fasteners are a little more difficult to put on while in the car (Not bad when out of car), 4 Not well known in our racing circles.

Hope this helps.
Chuck Sharp
1988 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa C.E.
1988 944 Turbo S
1986 944 Spec
and Several X Cars
ChuckS
Time Trialer

Postby mrondeau on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

ChuckS wrote:I have a HANS Pro with sliding tethers. Advantages include: 1 Very Light (Carbon Fiber), 2 Everybody has one, so parts or swapping is available if needed. Disadvantages: 1 Even with sliding tethers, there is very limited head turning allowed. This has proven troubling in pits and in race line up (sometimes can't turn enough to see starter time signals). 2 Difficult to attach tethers to helmet while in car (but I have gotten familiar with these and it is less of a problem now), 3 Shoulder straps often move around and fall off while getting strapped in. Not enough width on shoulder "landings". Doesn't seem to be a big problem once fully tightened.

Debby has the Leatt. It is fully certified. They are not well known in our circles, but are leaders in Motorcycle and off road (Baja 1000 type stuff). The advantages are: 1 FAR more movement of the head allowed in side to side without too much forward movement allowed. 2 Very comfortable, 3 Shoulder "landing" has an upward turned tip to keep belts from sliding off the device. Disadvantages: 1 Only one size fits all, 2 Helmet fasteners are NOT compatible with HANS, 3 Helmet fasteners are a little more difficult to put on while in the car (Not bad when out of car), 4 Not well known in our racing circles.

Hope this helps.

I also have a HANS Pro with sliding tethers and I like it. No problem with fit and use. The tether connections take some getting used to, but I don't have any problem now. I got mine from Stand 21 and they fitted me for it in my car and with my helmet on and again when I got a new helmet. It's lightweight and fairly easy to use. The only down side is the limited range of motion (part of how it's designed to work to keep you head attached). I usually just attach the tethers once I'm in pre grid so that it doesn't affect me in the pits.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby kleggo on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks for the replies.
Tell your friends about this thread.
It will prove valuable to others as we near late 2018 (or before)

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 am

I have a very early model of the NecksGen. It was a less expensive alternative to the original HANS devices.

The fit is really good, the limited head-movement in the pits is okay ( as Mark R. states... that's part of what keeps your head on), and you can adjust the restraint straps for more side-to-side rotation without compromising forward-to-rear support (stops that basil-neck fracture thing).

What I really like about it is the shoulder strap routing system. It has a high "rail" on the outside of each shoulder that the straps ride in. Once you put the straps into the groove and tighten them just a little they are solidly restrained in their runners until you loosen the straps completely. You can drive through the pits with the shoulder straps slightly tightened for better vision without the straps falling off the device. When fully sinched down with the shoulder straps in pre-grid, the device is solid upon the body and "invisible" when driving (I can't feel the device, so no impediments when driving at speed).

Each HANS will be slightly better than others depending on the seat, the straps, and the body being fitted for the device. Mark's comment about being fitted with his own helmet and car is sage advice. Take your car down to where ever you're buying the device and get properly fitted. That way the seat, straps, and body type / configuration are all checked for the best fit. Like any safety device, fit is critical.

My 2-cents... 8)
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby Mike on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:42 am

On my 4th head and neck device.
Currently have the latest sliding tether necksgen.
Liked it b/c the it was shorter and easy to get on in a tight cockpit.
Also got a nice cash discount buying it from the manufacturer in El Cajon, they installed it too.

I find the helmet blower hose restricts helmet motion more than the Hans device.
Michael_Gagen :D

"Without the ability to manipulate each wheel independently, Its a fun challenge to try and be your own,
ABS, traction control and stability control"
Erik K.
Mike
Club Racer

Postby Old Guy on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 pm

To clarify, I know little about anything racing or highly competitive, and never plan to time trial or much less, "race." That said, today I spent the day at AAA Speedway (Speed Ventures) with a pro driver/instructor. (Yes, he helped me a LOT. He works at Carson, so knows our newer 911s very well.) He had a Simpson product that was a HANS-type device designed to work with 3-point, factory seatbelts. It looked "Hans like" but somehow different. It keeps your head from snapping forward in an impact. I haven't yet Googled the item, but logic says it would be great for an instructor getting into a car with a completely unknown student. (Instructors...kudos to you. I would NEVER get into a car with a driver I knew nothing about.)

Our 911 is a base 2017 Carrera 7 speed manual. While I managed to hit 123 mph on the main straight before slowing to +/-100 thru the turn, he ran 136+ mph driving thru the entire turn 2 bend and only went that slow because I never screamed or cried, but had admonished him not to scare me. Other cars without C-S (translation: chicken-shit) passengers were running 160 mph. Not me; not ever.
This is with our base 911 with Pirelli P-Zeros with 14,900 on them before the track day.

He hooked his track timer up to the car and we had the chance thereafter via his PC to compare data lines for everything from G force to throttle application to braking to top speeds here and there on the track. This was very helpful re where we differed in performance, usually because I did something wrong (not always stupid; just not ideal). (My C-S-ness I attribute to common sense. Not to mention still having a mid-5 figures loan note on the 911.) He says that Porsche track app (he promised to help set it up on my phone)...integrates timing with real time video tracking. Sounds interesting.

But back to HANS. Suggest everyone check this out this Simpson product. Looked to me like usual HANS, but had different attachment options. Please let us know what you find. Thanks!
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Postby kleggo on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Mike wrote:On my 4th head and neck device.
Currently have the latest sliding tether necksgen.
Liked it b/c the it was shorter and easy to get on in a tight cockpit.
Also got a nice cash discount buying it from the manufacturer in El Cajon, they installed it too.

I find the helmet blower hose restricts helmet motion more than the Hans device.

DANG.
I ended up buying a necksgen.
I wish I would have read your reply and just drove to EC for that $$$.

Cheers
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Return to Technical