AX Attendance Falling Off

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Re: AX Attendance Falling Off

Postby Ianc2 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 pm

mrondeau wrote:
Gary Burch wrote:
tb911 wrote:
The rationale (right or wrong) that was presented was that instructors don't like instructing in non-Porsches. So we had students with no one to instruct them, or at least, no one happily instructing them. That is the source of that rule change to only allow students in Porsches.

instead of putting all instructors in one basket, we should ask if they do mind instructing in non-porsches. (think this was actually put in because we are the porsche club and not a driving club)
i, personally, don't mind it at all.

+1. I never minded instructing in in non-Porsches. I always considered it a bit elitist and short sighted to exclude paying customers who support our program. It’s not a problem in the TT/DE program.

Some of the best instructors I’ve had didn’t drive porsche .
Some of the worst instructors I’ve had drove a porsche .
Some of the more elitist bullsh1t I’ve ever heard came from instructors that drove porsche .

Does it matter ?
Not really .
It’s all just cheap fun at weekend playing around in our cars .

When it stops being cheap it stops being fun .
When it stops being fun it stops being cheap .

Keep it cheap and keep it fun for everybody ....

:roflmao:

Is the guy with the old 308 or 328 Ferrari still showing up ?
He’s a cool mother-funker if you spend the Time to talk to him .
I think every ax I did in your region he was there .
Ian Cross : OCR
Ianc2
Autocrosser

Postby tb911 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Ianc2 wrote:
tb911 wrote:
rshon wrote:. So does this mean that the board is planning on changing the current rules to allow non-PCA members?

The rules now allow up to 5 SCCA members and 5 BMWCCA members per event.

The must be experienced, no non-member students

What if you’re not a member of either ?

Currently the only non-members allowed are BMWCCA & SCCA members. No others.

I think if you want to see changes, you should let the current AX chairs and CDIs know.
They can then bring any suggestions for change to the board.
Tom Brown
SDR President
Z8 Rules Coordinator
etc.

1979 911 SC
1996 911 Turbo
2017 Macan S
tb911
Admin

Postby ttweed on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Ianc2 wrote:I’m hoping to have a few runs this year with you guys ...
Is pca membership still required ?
Mine lapsed ......

Why don't you renew it then? It costs less than an autox entry and lasts for a year with other benefits as well, including publications like Panorama and Windblown Witness, as well as participation on this forum, which is actually restricted to PCA members, BTW.
Ianc2 wrote:
tb911 wrote: The rules now allow up to 5 SCCA members and 5 BMWCCA members per event.

What if you’re not a member of either ?

Then you have to be a PCA member or you cant run with us and you can't post here.
Ianc2 wrote:Is the guy with the old 308 or 328 Ferrari still showing up ?

Do you mean Sean Dynes? Yes, he ran AX with us 3 times last season in his 308, but he also has a '73 911RSR clone and is a PCA member.

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Ianc2 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Ok .
Understood .
Thanks tom .
Ian Cross : OCR
Ianc2
Autocrosser

Postby mrbeverlyhills on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 pm

I agree with the PDS comment above. I took the course and then both my daughters did and all are eager for more. However, to fully benefit from PDS, the girls, both PCA members, would like to apply the skills learned to their own cars (VW GTI and BMW series). Beating on Dad's 964 at the AX is/was a big help but to continue they would like to be allowed to drive their own cars at SDR events.

Also, $500 for the PDS may be competitive with one day BMW and Porsche dealer sponsored events but not for an AX school. It was a LOT less when my girls took it and even though I think it is worth every penny, it does seem high given a day at AX is only $70. It is a great feeder for new blood and should be priced accordingly. I don't know what the costs are so maybe I am off base, but for $500 I would probably opt for a Tire Rack or AAA event that reduced my/their insurance premiums.
Christian Stevens
mrbeverlyhills

Postby mrondeau on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:11 pm

mrbeverlyhills wrote:I agree with the PDS comment above. I took the course and then both my daughters did and all are eager for more. However, to fully benefit from PDS, the girls, both PCA members, would like to apply the skills learned to their own cars (VW GTI and BMW series). Beating on Dad's 964 at the AX is/was a big help but to continue they would like to be allowed to drive their own cars at SDR events.

Also, $500 for the PDS may be competitive with one day BMW and Porsche dealer sponsored events but not for an AX school. It was a LOT less when my girls took it and even though I think it is worth every penny, it does seem high given a day at AX is only $70. It is a great feeder for new blood and should be priced accordingly. I don't know what the costs are so maybe I am off base, but for $500 I would probably opt for a Tire Rack or AAA event that reduced my/their insurance premiums.

The PDS is more than "an AX school". It's still a very good value and even more so when compared to many of the other schools and driver education options out there. Every year, I hear from someone about how they were able to avoid an accident by applying what they learned at PDS. The seat time per student is more than some of them can handle and the huge smiles of the students at the end of the weekend indicate that every one of them had a great experience. The school includes 5 meals over three days of learning and driving and the PDS in San Diego is famous for the way it teaches drivers and how it is a crucial first step in performance driving. SDR has a very good reputation for developing great drivers and almost all of those drivers are graduates of the PDS and AX programs. You really can't compare it to an AX because you get so much more out of it than a day autocrossing.
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby Gary Burch on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am

interesting take on autocross and relationship to track days
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/slideshows ... #the-issue
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby 911TED on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Just an update to share:
Going forward the OCR and the RsR region have joined together to host a series of AX events @ ACS Lot 6# , Fontana.
Porsche of Riverside & Porsche of Ontario (being built) along with Hagerty are the event series sponsors.
First date is 4-28 and is available on Motorsports.reg
Coffee & Donuts by Hagerty's
BBQ lunch by Porsche of Riverside
Ted Hoiberg
911TED

Postby Surfndiego on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:29 pm

I love the idea of a survey so let's do that. I'll volunteer to write survey questions so let me know. Distributing, tallying, Survey Monkinging will have to be by others.

My thoughts: I missed this Saturdays registration deadline for the 16th AX and it was totally avoidable. Some one above mentioned the lack of email reminders and that rings true for me. Someone right now is saying "but the AX date is on the PCASDR home page". Right. But it's low on the page and we can talk about navigation for days but I never scroll down on our home page, I go straight to the FORUMS link... General Discussions, where you will find absolutely no mention of this weekends AX! No direction (CCW vs. CW), east or west lot, track diagram, or call for volunteers, etc. I have been reading the Forum probably six to eight times in the past two weeks for stuff about the Streets of Willow DE just past and shucks, I would have had the Forum to remind me and set me up for timely registration and getting my schedule in order. Now that I'm looking at $100 instead of $70, I'm thinking of all the family things and chores I should be doing instead. It would seem we have outsourced our AX marketing effort to MotorSportReg.com.

Now admittedly I don't check personal email or the club Forum regularly and I'm sure I'm not alone so I would like to propose to our AX Management Team that we get members to opt in to PCASDR Race event Texts that come from the club. In otherwords send a text reminder when registration opens, and a couple days before it closes. Race Events notification only.
George Bollendorf
Surfndiego

Postby Cajundaddy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 am

A few thoughts.

The SDR PDS is the best car control and accident avoidance program anywhere in the country at this price. Very few drivers come out after a weekend here without major leaps in their ability to react to dangerous situations on the road that could be life threatening. The situational awareness in traffic alone is worth the price of admission. AX school is a relatively minor part of this comprehensive program of car control, situational awareness, and accident avoidance. Just do it!

I sorta agree with Gary's article on AX vs DE. AX is a great way to learn car control at lower speeds but it is typically limited to 12-15 laps. A DE day is usually 50-60 laps so once you have some basic skills, adding in DE will increase your seat time exponentially. A full weekend of DE offers upwards of 90 laps on track so even with an overnight hotel stay the cost per lap is similar to AX and you get a ton of seat time while sacrificing only one weekend. I strongly recommend doing both AX and DE because they each offer valuable experience and seat time to improve your craft.

It is true that past AX chairs have been more active in alerting folks to upcoming registration and event dates here in the forum but... We are all adults with smartphones right? Take a few moments, pull up the driving events calendar for the year and plug all of the events you might be interested in to your phone calendar with alerts to reg dates and times. Now you are set for the entire season and will never need the AX or DE chair to poke you to register. If you really want to participate and regularly attend performance driving events, it really is that simple. In the end, we each make time for the people and things we care about.

Now get off the couch and drive! :burnout:
Dave Hockett
09 Cayman 2.9L PDK #129 (with a few tweaks)
CC08
PCA GPX CDI- Past
PCA National DE Instructor
Cajundaddy
Time Trialer

Previous

Return to General Discussions