Never let your kids drive you cars

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Never let your kids drive you cars

Postby Paul Filsinger on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Amazing weekend at Streets! Thanks to all the volunteers that work hard to let us have so much fun.

Alex and I finished off by swapping cars for a few practice laps. In keeping with past form he broke the “let dad win” rule and turned 1:21.02 in his first session and third lap ever in the cup car.

Show of hands - should I ever let him drive it again? :)
Paul Filsinger

Re: Never let your kids drive you cars

Postby ttweed on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 am

Paul Filsinger wrote:Show of hands - should I ever let him drive it again? :)

Not until he has kids of his own and develops some sense of mortality to even the playing field. :burnout:

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby mrondeau on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:00 am

You should definitely let him drive it again. Maybe not for a while though. Let your pride as a father overcome the depression of being slower that your son. I'm not sure how old I'll be when Lydon starts to show me what fast really is, but he kicks my a$$ in video games already and he's only 7. :banghead: :lol:
Mark Rondeau - Retired from club duties
1979 911SC #1 -Modified for track use.
2021 Toyota Tundra 4X4
mrondeau
Pro Racer

Postby Jad on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 am

I never let my dad win, and my son is pretty adamant that he will be beating me shortly. Game on.... :burnout:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby JayG on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 pm

I am pretty sure my son Chad is going to beat me pretty soon. He came close last weekend at SOW and that was basically his 2nd track weekend
I'll be proud that he is faster, but pissed off if he costs me a place on the podium
Jay Gedanken
Sliding down the slippery slope..
2004 986 S #990 (sold)
2004 996 Targa
JayG
Time Trialer

Postby Erik K on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 am

Oh definitely let him drive it again :burnout: , a pretty cool way to make you proud. Put an in-car camera in while your son is driving and you can study and learn from him. You both can push each other to be better drivers :rockon:
Erik K
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 am

I don't think that is how it works Eric, the kid is faster because they have no fear of death or losing money, the parent still has more talent despite being slower...... :banghead:

:rockon:
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Erik K on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am

Jad,

Not sure how you got that I was implying the Son is faster only because "they have no fear of death or losing money" A Race track may not be the best environment for a person with that Mindset... Who has more talent? the Son or father? Who knows :surr:

What I was trying to say is having your Son beat you on lap times, to me (My opinion) must be a very large form of flattery as a Father. You've invested and raised this person and now seeing them blossom and EXCEL at something must be a very cool feeling as a Father.

Just like in pro racing, if they were able to compare in-car video and study from each other I assume they would both learn something and gain knowledge.

My vote still Stands, Let the son drive 8) :rockon:
Last edited by Erik K on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erik K
Time Trialer

Postby afilsinger on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 am

Erik K wrote:
Just like in pro racing, if they were able to compare in-car video and study from each other I assume they would both learn something and gain knowledge.

We have cameras and data in both cars. It will be very interesting to see where I picked up time on my dad. I drove the same momentum car line in the Cup as I do in my 944, so I suspect I am just carrying more speed. Great fun and hopefully he lets me continue to beat him from time to time 8)
Alex Filsinger #950
2021/22 DE Co-CDI
FIA Silver
McLaren Artura GT4 - IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge #69
1998 Boxster Spec
2006 GT3 Cup
1986 944-Spec
2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
alexfilsinger.com
afilsinger

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:36 pm

afilsinger wrote:
Erik K wrote:

We have cameras and data in both cars. It will be very interesting to see where I picked up time on my dad. I drove the same momentum car line in the Cup as I do in my 944, so I suspect I am just carrying more speed. Great fun and hopefully he lets me continue to beat him from time to time 8)

And I reiterate... learn to drive in a 944 and you will be fast in "Almost" anything...
Very nice driving Alex, you are being closely watched by the 944 Spec guys...
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Jad on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Erik, I wasn't really saying you are wrong, in theory you are 100% correct. Both drivers should improve and benefit from studying videos and learning from each other in the same car.

I have just found the reality is that the son will learn more and improve more from the videos and seat time, whereas the father will tend to not improve much as they will still be too concerned about pain and money which is why they drive the speed they do to begin with. I can't think of a single example of the father being consistently faster for more than a few events before being bettered by their child.

I think Alex should continue to learn in the 944, only occasionally driving the fast car. Not to hold him back, or to keep the dad from losing, just there is more good habits to be learned from driving a 944 and bad habits with a CupCar while starting out.
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby Paul Filsinger on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I’m with Jad on this one. Self preservation and wallet preservation instinct runs strong! Alex is absolutely more confident too.

Alex carries more speed than me into the waterfall, even after having to slow down and pass me in the 944 in the bowl. Likely some other differences too. I’m confident he’d have broken 1:21 if I wasn’t in his way.

Will get the vids up on YouTube when I get a chance and share the link here - will be fun to hear all of you critique us!
Paul Filsinger

Postby afilsinger on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Paul Filsinger wrote:I’m with Jad on this one. Self preservation and wallet preservation instinct runs strong! Alex is absolutely more confident too.

Alex carries more speed than me into the waterfall, even after having to slow down and pass me in the 944 in the bowl. Likely some other differences too. I’m confident he’d have broken 1:21 if I wasn’t in his way.

Will get the vids up on YouTube when I get a chance and share the link here - will be fun to hear all of you critique us!

Here are the videos, this is my fastest lap (1:21.02): https://youtu.be/Q6yafIt5SWk

Here is Pauls fastest lap (1:21.32): https://youtu.be/k8dQZTh6uGo
Alex Filsinger #950
2021/22 DE Co-CDI
FIA Silver
McLaren Artura GT4 - IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge #69
1998 Boxster Spec
2006 GT3 Cup
1986 944-Spec
2010 Mercedes C63 AMG
alexfilsinger.com
afilsinger

Postby Cajundaddy on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Congrats on the quick times and to Paul for handing down the passion of motorsport to Alex. He will be pulling an Erik K. very soon and destroying all of us. I like both vids pretty well but Alex was cleaner and demonstrated better energy conservation in the corners. This comes directly from 944 seat time where any bobble or energy loss will kill your lap dead.

My vote: Give Alex a season in 944 to drive home the lessons, with occasional seat time in the Cup Car for fun and benchmark comparison laps. He will need a good job soon because the tire expense is about to take off.

It's going to be a fun year! :rockon:
Dave Hockett
09 Cayman 2.9L PDK #129 (with a few tweaks)
CC08
PCA GPX CDI- Past
PCA National DE Instructor
Cajundaddy
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions