Dolphin Trophy History

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Dolphin Trophy History

Postby keefer on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm

I might be opening the door to get crushed on this one, but . . .

What's the history on the BRI trophy? The ratio of coveted-to-ugliness is probably off the charts, so how did it start?

I looked up a lot of the regulars today. Gill, Walker, Burch, SG, Kinninger are all staples on the dolphin.

It's a great trophy and I'm pretty honored to have it on loan given the company. Would like to know how it started, when adding junk on it ended and why, etc etc
Chris Keefer
keefer

Re: Dolphin Trophy History

Postby Steve Grosekemper on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 am

Well kids,
Let's gather around the fire and let Ol' Man Tweed tell you how it was back in the day...
Tom?
Steve Grosekemper #97
http://www.911SG.com
https://www.facebook.com/911steveg/
https://www.instagram.com/steve911sg/
PCA-SDR Tech Advisor/Scrutineer/Forum-Admin
1997 993S & 986S street cars & 911SC track car.
Steve Grosekemper
Admin

Postby Gary Burch on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 am

it started with the Three Amigos
(actually the BRI existed before)
then at one autocross
the previously fast
Dan Andrews suggested,
" That winning the BRI was like polishing your Dolphin."
So Carl Scragg found a Dolphin on ebay
We made it the BRI trophy
and the rest is history

adding a bit was started in the beginning, then it got so big
it wouldn't fit in my car
so a couple of years ago i scrapped the keepsakes
and started the numbers instead
at least now my wife lets me bring it in the house
Gary Burch
Club Racer

Postby ttweed on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 am

Steve Grosekemper wrote:Well kids,
Let's gather around the fire and let Ol' Man Tweed tell you how it was back in the day...
Tom?

Yes, I am getting to be older than dirt, and was involved way back in the beginning of the BRI, which was actually still in this century (2002, to be exact). There was some grumbling by the drivers of the slower classes of cars about TTOD being the only award at an event, since they had little opportunity to win that honor. Yes, you could win your class, but there was no way to judge how the driver in a lower class would have done against a higher class driver if the car was taken out of the equation. Those of us who also autocrossed with SCCA knew that they had developed a theoretical performance index to do just that over the years called "PAX." It is the SCCA’s system for comparing the performance of cars from different classes against each other, and is applied at every event to the raw times in order to yield a listing of "indexed" times, the winner of which is considered to be as prestigious as the TTOD driver.

If you haven't already discovered it, there is a story on the PCA-SDR website explaining the genesis and evolution of the BRI:
http://pcasdr.org/pcasdr/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/StoryOfBRI.pdf
Basically, it started with Carl Scragg using data of SDR AX results collected by Chris Benbow and myself to yield the first BRI index, and was revised and expanded to the Time Trial series from there. The creation of the "Polished Dolphin" trophy is as stated by Gary Burch above, although I believe it might have been based on a comment by Curt Anderson, not Dan Andrews, though they were good friends and shared the same attitude about the imprecise nature of the BRI award, resulting in the quite male-centric and slightly demeaning nickname. :D

Nevertheless, I was happy to win the award more than my share of times over the years, and receive a memorial of that in the form of a drawing by Gary of me driving my old 1967 911S and clutching the trophy, which became my current avatar. :wink:

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby keefer on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 am

Great history to pass along gents, thanks.
Chris Keefer
keefer

Return to General Discussions