Apex Pro Users?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Apex Pro Users?

Postby Tom Helvey on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 pm

At Buttonwillow, Bryan Fraser recommended checking out APEX Pro.
Since I started this hobby 6 short months ago, I've kind of gone all in so I bought one it looks like a good tool.
Heck I bought a car to do this, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)
Are there any other Apex Pro users lurking here?
I'll probably be using mine more for AX than big track events but I plan on using it all the time if possible.
I have a few questions about using it for AX and walking the course if you've had experience doing that and have the time to respond, let me know.
Tom Helvey
Gently tweaked 2004 Boxster S
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Re: Apex Pro Users?

Postby ttweed on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 am

Tom-

Your November Windblown Witness will be arriving in your mailbox soon, and having read it already during the editing process, I can tell you that there is an extensive article on the Apex Pro by Martin Schacht included that will point you to more references on the system than you could explore in a week. A starting point seems to be YouTube, specifically the APEX PRO YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1gjrm-7rAKen3KN70HBFw/videos

I would suggest looking for the AX oriented videos first if that is your initial focus. The PDF guide for custom track setup from the Apex site FAQ might be useful for AX:
https://apextrackcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/Custom-Track-Feature-Guide.pdf

HTH,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Paul Filsinger on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:01 am

Tom Helvey wrote:At Buttonwillow, Bryan Fraser recommended checking out APEX Pro.
Since I started this hobby 6 short months ago, I've kind of gone all in so I bought one it looks like a good tool.
Heck I bought a car to do this, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

I can’t comment on the Apex at all, but I can commiserate about the rest - It’s a slippery slope you are on and worth every penny. I “blame” my PDS instructors from a few years back! :)
Paul Filsinger

Postby Tom Helvey on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 pm

ttweed wrote:Your November Windblown Witness will be arriving in your mailbox soon, and having read it already during the editing process, I can tell you that there is an extensive article on the Apex Pro by Martin Schacht included...

It arrived today, great article. Thanks for the heads up.
It looks like the APEX should work just fine. I'm going to walk around the block tomorrow to see how the custom (AX) track stuff works.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Postby Tom Helvey on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

For AX.
As an experiment, I created a really short track in P2P mode, basically my gate to the end of the alley.
I tried to walk as close to the middle of the alley as possible to make sure it correctly tracked my route.
I then drove to my local convenience store.
According to the data, the start and end points were pretty close when viewed with the satellite view (Google Maps) at full zoom.
I don't know if the route chosen when walking the track affects the software, it looks like only the start and end gates matter for P2P.
The data acquisition continued until I reached my destination and pushed the button on my phone to tell it my lap was done. It didn't care about the track boundaries.
A couple takeaways: I don't know if walking a track will result in a valid track map yet. Setting the start and finish on the app is important, even if it didn't capture the walking bit. You may need to push a couple buttons before the next lap. I guess it's a discipline, I still have issues turning my camera on before a session/lap.
I'm signed up for the SCCA Novice School event on Nov 23rd and I plan on taking the APEX there. I will be able to provide a better report after the event.
BTW I ordered the OBDII interface this weekend, Unfortunately, it also looks like TrackAttack has embraced lameness for free users but I guess you get what you pay for.
Tom Helvey
Tom Helvey
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions