How much preparation does it take to organize an autocross?

A place to check for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

How much preparation does it take to organize an autocross?

Postby TheStig on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:40 pm

How much time and preparation does it take to organize an autocross of our size? By that I mean, do we have a contract with Qualcomm to use their parking lot or do we pay them like a rental fee? Also what other work is involved to make every autocross so far I've been with you guys better each time I come? :D
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Andy:

Depending on who the Chairs are, and who takes responsibility for the tasks, it takes anywhere from 8 to 18 man-hours to properly prepare for a single A-X.

this is a per- event estimate based on:

- 2 meetings a year with the Qualcomm special Events coordinator and other clubs
- Submit Budget request to the Board for event funding/approval
- 1 to 4 hours of initial track design drawings
- 2 to 4 hours final track design meeting with other A-X Chairs (usually over a beer and snack)
- Send track design to Webmasters to post to forum/website
- 1 to 2 hours pre-event track inspection with Safety Chairs roughly 1 week to 5 days prior to the event
- Insurance Certificate issued for the event by National
- Coordination with the Equipment Chairs to deliver the Truck and Equipment Trailer/ and return the Truck-Trailer AND make sure all equipment is in the Trailer and working properly
- Coordinate with Logistics Chairs for Port-o-pot/Drinks/Etc.(Beer)
- Contact Witness Editor for ads
- Coordinate with pre-reg/Registration to get all drivers signed up
- Contact Timing Team to be sure we have Timers
- Contact Cornerworking Chairs for event attendance
- Answer emails from drivers wanting to know if they can run their X-cars in the event
-Answer night-before-event-at-11:00 PM phone calls asking to drive under the pre-reg discount of $40.00

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:

These recollections are based on the 2003/2004 season when I was Co-Chair with Carl Scragg and Gary Burch. Gary's efforts to improve the system probably means it takes less time/effort than when I was working with him. 8) Also, Chuck and Curt have shown great progress in improving the system, as well. :wink:

Now, these are the pre-event tasks. In another installment, I'll detail "A day in the Life of an AX Chair at an AX." :shock:

Hope that helps! :wink:
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby ttweed on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:16 pm

Dan Chambers wrote:And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:
Yeah, Dan, the Tech Team gets left out and ignored, probably because it runs so smoothly you don't even have to think about it... :D

TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby Dan Chambers on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:42 am

ttweed wrote:
Dan Chambers wrote:And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. :roll:
Yeah, Dan, the Tech Team gets left out and ignored, probably because it runs so smoothly you don't even have to think about it... :D

TT

Edited:

Andy:

Depending on who the Chairs are, and who takes responsibility for the tasks, it takes anywhere from 8 to 18 man-hours to properly prepare for a single A-X.

this is a per- event estimate based on:

- 2 meetings a year with the Qualcomm special Events coordinator and other clubs
- Submit Budget request to the Board for event funding/approval
- 1 to 4 hours of initial track design drawings
- 2 to 4 hours final track design meeting with other A-X Chairs (usually over a beer and snack)
- Send track design to Webmasters to post to forum/website
- 1 to 2 hours pre-event track inspection with Safety Chairs roughly 1 week to 5 days prior to the event
- Insurance Certificate issued for the event by National
- Coordination with the Equipment Chairs to deliver the Truck and Equipment Trailer/ and return the Truck-Trailer AND make sure all equipment is in the Trailer and working properly
- Contact the fantastic, glorious, incredibly efficient, beautifully run, remarkabley humble, terrifically polite, generously fair TECH TEAM to be sure cars are tech'ed.
- Coordinate with Logistics Chairs for Port-o-pot/Drinks/Etc.(Beer)
- Contact Witness Editor for ads
- Coordinate with pre-reg/Registration to get all drivers signed up
- Contact Timing Team to be sure we have Timers
- Contact Cornerworking Chairs for event attendance
- Answer emails from drivers wanting to know if they can run their X-cars in the event
-Answer night-before-event-at-11:00 PM phone calls asking to drive under the pre-reg discount of $40.00

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

These recollections are based on the 2003/2004 season when I was Co-Chair with Carl Scragg and Gary Burch. Gary's efforts to improve the system probably means it takes less time/effort than when I was working with him. Also, Chuck and Curt have shown great progress in improving the system, as well.

Now, these are the pre-event tasks. In another installment, I'll detail "A day in the Life of an AX Chair at an AX."

Hope that helps!
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby TheStig on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Wow I knew a lot was put into each autocross, but I underestimated all the work.. Very Impressive :D
Andy Serrato AKA "MONGO"
1986 Porsche 944 #382 Up For Sale - Inquire Within!
1987 Porsche 928 S4 If it's too loud, you're too old!Image
TheStig
Time Trialer

Return to F.A.Q.