Tire installers and center lug wheels

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Tire installers and center lug wheels

Postby ggibson0922 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:58 pm

Getting ready to replace tires on my GT3. Looking for a good shop that can deal with the center lug wheels.
Gerald Gibson
ggibson0922

Re: Tire installers and center lug wheels

Postby ttweed on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 am

The dealer is the best place but not the cheapest. The tire handling equipment and expertise at Porsche of San Diego is impressive. The cost is commensurate.

That said, I have always taken my wheels into Discount Tire on Garnet Ave. in PB loose, after removing them from the car myself, let them mount and balance the new tires, then take them home and mount them on the car myself. After a couple of years of doing that, they did obtain the necessary torque wrench to mount them on the car at their facility, but except for one puncture repair, I have continued to do it myself so I could inspect the centerlock lugnut, grease, torque, and lock them properly when mounting. Of course, this requires quite an investment in tools that might make the PoSD costs seem reasonable. If you are going through a lot of tires like I was, the savings will pay for the tools in a few seasons.

Now that I am no longer racing the car, I have a couple sets of spare rims and tires for 991 GT3 and all the tools that I would be willing to sell if you are interested.

HTH,
TT
Tom Tweed -- #908
SDR Tech Inspection Chair 2005-06
SDR Forum Admin 2010-present
Windblown Witness Assistant Editor 2012-present
Driving Porsches since 1964
ttweed
Admin

Postby kleggo on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Good advice from Tom.

Adam @ Vollig can assist.

Cheers

Craig
Craig Fenstermaker

i'm here in Vista
kleggo
Time Trialer

Postby ggibson0922 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm

I would like to pick up a second set of wheels/tires as I used to switch out track wheels/tires and do brake work on my Cayman S. Investing in the higher torque equipment is a possibility but let’s at least talk about the wheels/tires.
Gerald Gibson
ggibson0922

Postby Old Guy on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:40 am

Following up on Tom's post, I have a selection of center lug parts sitting in my garage that need to move to a new owner. I'll put something into the Classifieds sooner rather than later. My monster torque wrench went to Alain some years ago, so I no longer have that to offer. Hard to believe that it's been 4 years since we traded in the 2011 GTS, and I still have center lock stuff in the garage?? Please don't tell my wife.
Jim "Old Guy" Dunlap
2017 Carrera 911 7 speed stick, Lava Orange :lol:
2017 Macan S, Sapphire Blue
2005 Volvo V50 Spt Wagon, Passion Red
2003 Morgan +8, Silver body with Dark Blue Wings
Old Guy
Time Trialer

Return to General Discussions