Event status in light of COVID?

A place to hang out and discuss all things Porsche.

Event status in light of COVID?

Postby Dave Diamond on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 pm

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts -- and the thinking of the board -- on the status of upcoming events (Chuckwalla) in light of the extreme covid conditions in southern CA right now. Yeah, this is an outdoor event where in theory it's possible to maintain social distance, but regional conditions are pretty dire and will likely be getting worse instead of better in the next 2 weeks.
There are travel and stay-at-home restrictions, the case positivity rate is very high (you should assume that 1 in 4-6 people you see anywhere are positive), and the hospitals are essentially full. It has always been impressive that the club is extremely serious about safety. We have strict rules about replacing harnesses and helmets, wear fire suits, inspect cars carefully before every event, have strictly-enforced passing rules, etc. -- and the newly-added COVID-related precautions are also obviously well thought out. But these are extraordinary times for the virus. I know more very careful people who've gotten the virus in the last month (and some who have died) than I have seen injured (or who've even had car-to-car contact) in many years of track events.

I'm just interested in how y'all are weighing these factors in your own decisions about participating.
Thanks.
David J. Diamond #272
1979 911 SC Targa - Silver - CC02
1983 944 - Red - CC04/944 Spec
Formerly: 2002 Boxster - Black - CC04 - R.I.P, totalled March 2013
Dave Diamond
Autocrosser

Return to General Discussions