Revisited: Alternative Autos for Performance Events

Porsche Technical related discussions.

Revisited: Alternative Autos for Performance Events

Postby PShipman on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm

After a bit of thought I really wanted to hear a bit more from you folks:
    Dan, Steve, and other SC fans ... what is it about an SC that you feel makes is a good choice for a Street/Track car ... would you do something else if money wasn't a factor ... what is your ideal Porsche?
    Jackie (and other spec car folks) ... I know you are lurking out there ... why do you love a Spec car? ... would you stay with a spec car if your hubby found a good late model 911? What is the most attractive thing about the spec car to you?
    Thomas and other J&K P class folks ... what (other than the fact that that is what you own) keeps you with the Turbo and S2 cars? Would you choose something else if you could?
    914 folks ... what do you do about rust and failing fatigure?
    Jad, Martin, etc. ... what are your long term arguments for a pure "race only" car? Would you do it again if you didn't have us listening to you?

Just a very interesting topic for me ... and you are all very helpful and full of interesting thoughts.
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby Jad on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Actually, mine turbo is also driven on the street and isn't a pure racecar, though it isn't really a great daily driver anymore. I like it as you really can't go faster for less money, it is easy to get parts, many of which are very cheap, others not. It is well balanced and modern. No one really thinks of it as an old car even though it is almost 20 years old. The only Porsche I have owned of the 12 or more that I didn't like was the 914 as it always felt very old, slow and fragile. I kept it running, not optimized things and it was a very nice example of an OLD car.

It is all how fast you want to go, how much you want to spend, and how reliable you want it to be. The best overall value is clearly the spec car. Lots of competition, great reliability, easy to drive, cheap to fix and very low entry cost. SC's are also good, but not really better than a spec car at anything but sounds and bragging rights while a bit more money and less competition. They are probably my favorite of the 911's, even though I own a 996 targa and now race a 996 racecar. The newer cars are better, faster, nicer, but the SC was the 'true' Porsche to me, though 356 owners may differ.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes when I come back next week. Have fun!
Jad Duncan
997 S Cab - Sold
996 "not a cup car" Sold
Tesla Model S
Porsche Taycan
https://www.goldfishconsulting.com/
Jad
Pro Racer

Postby martinreinhardt on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:47 pm

Jad,

I just hope your 944 Turbo S will sell out of state, preferably to Alaska or Canada. :lol:
Martin Reinhardt
http://www.youtube.com/flatsixracer
Past - Timing, Registration, Webmaster, Certified Instructor

'07 Cayman S
'07 Formula Renault 2.0
'16 Cayenne
martinreinhardt
Pro Racer

Postby PShipman on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:54 pm

I just hope your 944 Turbo S will sell out of state, preferably to Alaska or Canada.

:roflmao:
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Postby bibbetson on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:48 am

If you really like the 944 platform and want to run in the faster pack, I would consider a 968 coupe (not just because I own one). As an all purpose general use car it's really tough to beat. Very reliable, fast, balanced and modern looking. The only real down side is that there is a performance ceiling that is really expensive to overcome. Basically the only way to go faster is with suspension improvements and weight loss. There are only a few extra HP that can be squeezed out of what Porsche gave us from the factory unlike what you can get out of a 964 or 951. However, that makes improvement a fairly straight forward task. The way PCASDR rules are you would be the underdog at the big tracks and well placed at the smaller tracks and autocross. KP is the competative upper ceiling for that car and now that the K-pack as moved on to KI it leaves you in a fairly lonely class.

As with any Porsche model, you need to become intimate with the model's quirks before shopping as each model has their gotchas.
billeye #491
'94 968
bibbetson
Time Trialer

Postby Dan Chambers on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:08 am

I think Jad brings up a few good points: How fast? How much $$? What's the ultimate purpose for the car.

For the money: I think the Spec cars really have a step up. They are great for all the reasons mentioned earlier, and in other threads ... if a tad underpowered. I'd go secondarily to the 944S2 coupe or 968 coupe for front-engined cars. Although not "cheap" by any means, a "good" example will run somehwere between $9K and $15K. Put in a few mods (Springs and shocks + good wheels and tires) and you have a formidable racer (ask Carl Scragg about his history against Doug Kott - Bill Ibbitson has gotten TTOD in his 968) that is a dream to drive on the street. Pshipman,you're car is great ... it's just that it's a cabriolet. :cry:

Now for the sound/quick-reflex/fun factor: I'd have to say the 1980 or later 911SC or 1984 to 1989 Carrera's are the BOMB! Great exhaust note; incredible steering response, great torque, decent HP, still inexpensive to maintain, absolutely bullet-proof (as long as you keep 'em maintained) and parts aren't hard to find. Galvanized tub means no rust worries (unless wrecked or over-stripped for painting) and there's a decent number out there to be bought and sold. Many Porsche-philes say these are the best of the "early" or "light-weight" 911's Porsche ever built. I won't disagree. That's just my experience and opinion. Others may disagree.

I think it all gets back to your decisions about type of car, type of driving, and investment potential. Spend some time deciding what you really want from a Porsche. Then, figure out if one model can deliver all that you desire. Then, go get it! And remember: track vs street = compromises.

I don't think there is a "bad" Porsche model, so any Porsche you own is going to be a great car.
Dan Chambers
"It's just a "well prepared" street car ... or a very, very well-mannered track car." :burnout:
1983 SC #91 3.6L, "Black Pearl" Livery
1987 944 (gone but not forgotten)
Dan Chambers
Pro Racer

Postby PShipman on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm

You all bring up great points ... thank you for your feedback ...
Perry Shipman
944 S2 Cabriolet (white)
PShipman
Time Trialer

Return to Technical